From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam.Hoyle

DIAdem Standard Deviation Weighting

Hi Sam,

Yes, you are right. My answer caused on a misunderstanding / misinterpretation on my side.

Your request has been implemented.

Greetings

Walter

I have been doing some data analysis in DIAdem; I have been taking some statistics on some data - working out variance and standard deviation.  I asked NI Support team whether 'Population' or 'Sample' weighting is used, as it was not mentioned in the help file. I understand that by default Variance and Standard Deviation are calculated using the 'Sample' rather than 'Population' formula. My company uses Population to work out some of the key performance data of the products we make.  At the moment I don't see a way of selecting which formula to Descriptive statistics.PNGuse so a little drop down next to the checkboxes so I can pick the type would be great.  For now I'm going to have to develop some VBScript or start using excel to do my data analysis.  As a footnote to this idea - may I also illustrate that calculating standard deviation directly feeds into process capability (Cp and Cpk).  Sample weighting is a little less friendly than Population weighting, so unwitting process control engineers may be finding their processes a little more (I think!) capable than what they truly are.

Regards,

Sam

5 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Is this an idea about DIAdem?  There is a separate idea exchange for that. 

DIAdem Idea Exchange

I'll ask a moderator to move the idea to there.

mattsnow
NI Employee (retired)

If anyone is looking for some example VBScript on how to go about this, please refer to here: 

DIAdem Standard Deviation

Thanks

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given that that just a few sponsors are supporting your entry and nearly no other customer asked this extension direct to us, we have decided to decline this suggestion. Nevertheless, we keep it in ore list of possible extensions however with a low priority and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this.

Greetings

Walter

Sam.Hoyle

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply, I'm pleased to see that the changes I suggested have in fact been implemented in the latest version of DIAdem, despite my suggestion having been declined.

Regards,

Sam

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Hi Sam,

Yes, you are right. My answer caused on a misunderstanding / misinterpretation on my side.

Your request has been implemented.

Greetings

Walter