DIAdem Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josborne

Create a web-based DIADem client

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given that that just a few sponsors are supporting your entry and nearly no other customer asked this extension direct to us, we have decided to decline this suggestion. Nevertheless, we keep it in ore list of possible extensions however with a low priority.

Greetings

Walter

I think DIADem would be a great solution if it came with a web-based client which would allow users to:

- Login remotely using a standard web-browser

- Allow users to access data from their web-browser without having to install any exectuables or active-x components

- Basically allows similar functionality of the VIEW tool, execpt make it web-based.

DIADem would be a great collaboration tool if it could be used without having to install a bunch of EXEs on every computer.  And going for a Citrix-style thin-client solution is just too costly.  Built-in web-based access would be awesome.

http://www.medicollector.com
5 Comments
Brad_Turpin
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi josborne,

Thank you for this product suggestion, which I would love to have as well.  It's certainly a common request we've heard over the years, and Citrix is definitely not a cheap alternative.  It's also hard to expect our customers to build their own web interface to DIAdem running on a server-- a few have done it, but it requires a rare set of skills, especially when the available API is ActiveX.

Are you mainly interested in a web service API to DIAdem that you could more easily use to build custom web interfaces, or are you more interested in a ready-to-use Citrix substitute?  Would you expect the latter to be a feature of DIAdem or a product or toolkit of its own?  How much would you be willing to pay for a ready-to-use terminal services layer to a DIAdem server?

Thanks for your suggestion,

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

JoshRew

I've heard some of our users talk about having to export to excel when sending data to people in other groups, managers, supervisors, etc. because that person doesn't have DIAdem installed (they would use it too rarely to bother).  We also run VPN from home occasionally (some much more often than others), which makes loading data from a database and fileserver much slower, so the advantage of connecting to DIAdem in-network via a web interface would be great!  Those of us with machines we can remotely log into that stay on-network know the speed benefits of not having to load data through VPN.

Joshua Rewerts

Engineering Technician

JDPS

josborne
Active Participant

Now that NI has launched its Technical Data Cloud, I kind of want to revisit the idea of a web-based version of Diadem.

Everything is going to the Cloud these days.  If we put our data there, it'd be great if we could also access it from a browser.  To answer Brad's specific questions:

Are you mainly interested in a web service API to DIAdem that you could more easily use to build custom web interfaces, or are you more interested in a ready-to-use Citrix substitute? 

Personally, I don't have time to write more code.  In fact, that is one of the reasons I like Diadem.  Before Diadem, I could build my own custom vizualization tools using LabVIEW (or some other programming language) or I could export static reports.  I like Diadem because I can load, vizualize and analyze my data with little programming.  So I'd be looking for something that is more like a "ready-to-use Citrix subsitite".... essentially Diadem from a browser.

However, I am guessing there are other users out there that would be interested in some kind of web API so they can build their own tools.

Would you expect the latter to be a feature of DIAdem or a product or toolkit of its own? 

I have a gut feeling it'd work better as a Diadem add-on ... Much like LabVIEW comes with add-ons that allow you to view VIs within a web-browser.

How much would you be willing to pay for a ready-to-use terminal services layer to a DIAdem server?

That's a tough one!  But I have a gut feeling the price should be some fraction of a Diadem license ... e.g. pay an additional $500 to view your data over the web! 

http://www.medicollector.com
dietfons

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given that that just a few sponsors are supporting your entry and nearly no other customer asked this extension direct to us, we have decided to decline this suggestion. Nevertheless, we keep it in ore list of possible extensions however with a low priority.

Greetings

Walter