cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
K.Yamashita

Allow multiple tabs/sheets/workspaces in the DAC block diagram page

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given the age of this entry and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we have decided to decline this suggestion and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this. 

Greetings

Walter

Currently, whenever you open a block diagram in DIAdem DAC, it closes anything that is already open.  This is inconvenient if you want to open two separate .DAC files for comparison, copy&paste, prototyping, etc. and especially when you want to reference an example, it tries to close whatever block diagram you have open and may still be working on.

Having multiple tabs like in VIEW, REPORT, and SCRIPT would definitely improve the user experience.  Alternatively, we could have it minimized somewhere or have it selectable from the Window menu as long as it allows you to keep multiple block diagrams loaded at the same time.

Kentaro Yamashita

3 Comments
dietfons

Hello Kentaro,

it's a great idea, but please consider the following: Wouldn't it be more useful in a 1st step to have one tab for DAC (like now), but multiple tabs in VISUAL to spread the display controls over more than one tab sheet in VISUAL? Users with a high count of measurement points would be happy to have multiple VISUAL tabs.

If this might be done in a future release, the next step could be to consider to have more than one DAC tab - but this shouldn't confuse the users with mulitple VISUAL tabs. 

Workaround for you to compare, copy&paste, prototype DAC schemes: In general you could open and measure with more than one of DIAdem instances - so put two DIAdem-DAC side by side on your screen and you could hopefully work as you proposed above.

Do you think this will make sense?

Thanks,

- Dieter

K.Yamashita
NI Employee (retired)

Hello Dieter,

Thanks for the comment.  If I understood correctly I think I agree with you, there should be just one DAC tab, just to have multiple sheets.  I didn't know how to word it, so it could be called tab, worksheet, workspace, etc. but below is an example image of what I have in mind.

dac 01.png

Having multiple sheets in VISUAL sounds good too, but like you point out, this might be tricky to keep track of with DAC tab goes with which VISUAL tab.

Also thanks for the workaround suggestion, sounds reasonable for improving things a bit.  Speaking of having two windows, a twist to my idea above could be to have multiple DAC diagrams open in the form of a separate window, kind of like how dialog editor windows open separately from the DIAdem window.  I guess the possible solutions are many, but the main inconvenience is that you cannot open multiple DAC diagrams without being forced to close the other (unless of course, you launch multiple DIAdem DAC instances like you said).

Regards,

Kentaro

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given the age of this entry and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we have decided to decline this suggestion and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this. 

Greetings

Walter