DIAdem Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JuliaDawkins

Add conditional formatting for VIEW and REPORT tables

Hello

Thank you for your request. R&D has read this suggestion and it will be included in feature planning discussions for future DIAdem versions. But because of the huge numbers of possible DIAdem extensions, we gave this request a lower priority.

Greetings

Walter

Having a similar conditional formatting functionality as Excel would help a lot of people transition to DIAdem.

7 Comments
AndreasH_Ha
NI Employee (retired)

Julia,

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely see the value and you are not the first one to bring up this feature request.

While discussing this internally, the question came up how to handle the difference of DIAdem being channel oriented versus Excel being cell oriented. In DIAdem you typically define formatting for a whole channel. Given the fact that the length of the channel varies from dataset to dataset, users typically don't work on a cell level.

Would you think the definition of a conditional formatting would be sufficient on the channel level ?

Andreas

JuliaDawkins

Hi Andreas,

I think having conditional formatting for a whole channel would be a wonderful thing if I understand what you mean by this.  For example, with channel-level conditional formatting, would it be possible to highlight (by color, font, etc.) all values that are in a certain range?  Or is this an example of cell-level formatting?  

Thanks!

Julia

AndreasH_Ha
NI Employee (retired)

Julia,

imagine that the condition you would define would be used for the whole channel. For example : "all values above 100 should be highlighted in red, all values below 0 should be highlighted in green". This is different from what you can do in Excel. In Excel you can define a separate condition for every value. So what you described could be done with a single condition for the whole channel.

Andreas

Greg_Gran

You can do channel level conditional formating by creating a user command and using the CFV (Current Format Value) variable. This will probably do exactly what you want. It only works with channel data however.  For example, it won't work with data stored as a property value. I've had cases where I wanted to color code characteristic values in a table for pass/fail, but I had to create a new data channel and copy them in.

dietfons

REPORT/2D Table: Conditional formatting for font attributes in cells is possible since several DIAdem versions via script/events. Since DIAdem 2015 you could also change the background color of cells.

dietfons

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hello

Thank you for your request. R&D has read this suggestion and it will be included in feature planning discussions for future DIAdem versions. But because of the huge numbers of possible DIAdem extensions, we gave this request a lower priority.

Greetings

Walter