From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Serial USB Input

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to read the inputs from an analyzer communicating with the computer through a USB port.  I have tried to use the RS232 Input module in DASYlab, but it always says it is waiting for a signal.  I have attached the protocol for the analyzer.  What settings can I change to see these values?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,331 Views)

Have you entered the data request command to request data?

Click on the Options button, and enable the data request.

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,321 Views)

I am assuming you are using some USB to serial converter. Right? USB itself has nothing to do with RS232.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,316 Views)

We are not using any kind of converter.  Is there a way on DASYlab to connect to this USB device without a converter? The computer we are using does not have an RS232 port.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,303 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JCarelock

Basically, if your device has a USB adapter and this adapter is not simulating a RS232 port, you only have two choices:

1) the manufacturer will provide you with a DASYLab driver in the same manner as it might provide a LabView's one

2) The manufacturer as a programming library withe, at lease, a C or Python library.  In this case you could write your own driver in Python by using the script module in DASYLab 13

If the unit does have a RS232 simulator then you will need to look into your manual and use the correct mnemonics.

Tom Rizzo
InSyS Corp.
www.insyscorp.com
Your DASYLab integrator
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(10,301 Views)

Thank you for your help. We will look into that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(10,297 Views)

From the manual, it looks like the device has a serial output. Typically that looks like a 9-pin connector on the back of the device. 

If the device has a USB output, and not a serial connector, does it create a COM port when you plug the USB cable into the PC? You can check that with the device manager.

If it is a 9-pin connector, then you need a USB-RS232 converter. They're readily available, since almost no new computer has a 9-pin serial port. 

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,292 Views)

Hello CJ Please I have a setup and my pressure sensors are connected but Dasy lab keeps reading values even when the experiment is not started. I want it to read 0 before the experiment begins. How can i do this?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,976 Views)

Each time you hit the Start Measurement button, DASYLab resets the serial port. 

You can optionally include start commands for the connected device that are sent once - possibly to zero the device at Measurement start.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,973 Views)