DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 Master and Slave not synch

Hey DL community

I have got a problem with my rs232 modules.. my schematic consists of two rs232-input modules with 16 channels each. If I want to do an 2 channel operation with e.g.. Channel 0 from master and channel 0 from slave an errors occurs that the data stream is not synchronized. How can I synch them?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,100 Views)

Hmmm....

I recall something like this years ago, and the explanation is now lost.

Can you connect the RS232 channels to a Write Data module using the DDF DASYLab format, and post a minute or so of the data in a zip file? 

I think that you need to look at the RS232 settings and force it to use a Timebase setting, rather than the timing from the individual readings. Look at Options in the RS232 Input Master.

2013_04_04_PrintScreen_0000.png

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,092 Views)

Hi, no sry i cant upload  the data, because i'm not at work right now... 

but i try to explain more:

first thing is, DASYLab V8 is used.. idk whether there are new functions in V12.

My external measurement device is sending data with ~2hz without any data demanding.

I think I already tried to set them on blockwise with own timebase but there was no difference. So i thought to write the data of the RS232 instantly into global variables and then reading them --> same time base..

but then i found out (attachment), that there is a data loss with the method of GV's (home-simulation with generator sending 2 hz voltage): Every part is running with global sample rate of 10hz. Why there is a difference between the two versions?

Is there any other possibility to synch the devises? shifting register e.g.?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,089 Views)

V8 has the same feature, but the words are different.

2013_04_04_PrintScreen_0001.png

The Generator typically uses the Driver time base, and the Gl. Var Write is writing once per block.

So, to see all values, you must have a block size of one.

I set up the Driver timebase to 10 Hz, block size of 1. The Generator and the Read Variable default to the Driver timebase.

The Generator is making a 2 Hz Rectangle waveform. YOu can see that it's shifted, but otherwise intact.

2013_04_04_PrintScreen_0002.png

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,085 Views)

Yes that works, thank you.

So that could be, theoretically, a possible solution, to sync Master and Slave? Or is there anything to fear with this solution? I think you can change the GV from outside, which could be a problem if you overwrite them somehow, right?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,082 Views)

I think that it's a good solution. I use it for other scenarios where I cannot directly connect the inputs and outputs.

The other solution.... the Special group has a Signal Adapt module that can fix things.

Usually... fix at the source is the first option. Anything else is a fix, and can lead to unwanted behavior. For now, I think that the Variable solution is a good one for you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,080 Views)