From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Excel file with Action Module

I am trying to open a certain Excel .xlsx file with a Dasylab Action Module.  Here is what I have set up.  I want the file to open when I start the Dasylab measurement.  The formatting I have below follows the formatting of the example shown in the Dasylab help file.  When I start the measurement, nothing happens.  If I take out the file name contained within the " ", then I am able to get Excel to open.  I've tried also by just leaving the filename and not the path to Excel, and this has not worked either.

Anything obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Mike

start extenal program.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,332 Views)

Are you running DASYLab 13? Check out my really cool Script module to open Excel BEFORE DASYLab starts.

Example for creating a simple script to open Microsoft Excel at Measurement Start. Excellent add-on if you use DDE to Excel and would like to have DASYLab open the workbook. Options to save the sheet as a new workbook with a timestamped name.  

ftp://ftp.mccdaq.com/downloads/example_programs/DASYLab_App_and_App_Notes/DASYLab%2013%20Script%20Ex...

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,328 Views)

No, we only have Dasylab 12 Pro.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,324 Views)

And...since you clearly don't have V13, I checked the syntax of your string. You need to quote the program string too... it has spaces in it. 

This worked on my Windows 7 system

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\Excel.exe" "C:\Users\cjbutler\Documents\DASYLab\Customers\Test\Workbook.xlsx"

No <CR> or <LF> at the end of the line. 

(How can I tell your version? They renamed the actions in the Action module to keep us on our toes.)

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
Message 4 of 6
(6,323 Views)

If I remember properly your previeus conversation, you had an excel sheet that you wanted to use to then test it with DASYLab.

So, I think that you would do better to start DASYLab from Excel and then use DDE to transfer the results over.

Tom Rizzo
InSyS Corp.
www.insyscorp.com
Your DASYLab integrator
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,313 Views)

This Excel document is actually unrelated to the other log type file I was trying to generate.

I was finally able to get this to work.  It was just a matter of putting a space between the Excel program path and the start of the quotation marks for the file name.

I found that quotation marks around program path is not necessary.

Regards,

Mike

Message 6 of 6
(6,275 Views)