From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-DAqMX does not see USB-6229

I have installed NI-DAqMX on a dual Xeon workstation running Win XP Pro, 4 GB RAM.  In device manager, the USB-6229 shows as operating correctly.  However, NI-DAqMX does not see the DAQ unit.  Any good suggestions?  I have tried the "refresh" and that does not show the DAQ unit.  If i can get the DAQ to work, i will be using DASYLab version 9 Full.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(9,347 Views)
Hello Joe. 

Thank you for posting to the NI Discussion Forums. 

In order to best assist you, I have a few basic questions for you.  First, what version of NI-DAQmx do you have installed?  This can be checked in Measurement and Automation Explorer under the software tab.  Secondly, you state that NI-DAQmx does not see the DAQ unit.  Does this mean that the 6229 isn't recognized in MAX under DAQmx devices?  Or are you not seeing the device somewhere else?  Have you tried recognizing the device on another computer?  Has this been successful?  Finally, can you provide any further computer specifications such as the type of computer?  For example, I have a Dell Optiplex at home. 

Let us know and we will be happy to help further. 

Brian F
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,332 Views)

Dear Sir,

Greetings.  Many thanks for such a prompt response.  Here are some additional items for your consideration:

1.  The NIDAQmx version that i have been working with is 8.5 and it came with the USB-6229.

2.  I installed NIDAQmx on my development machine and all worked just fine.

3.  I have tried, three times now, to install NIDAQmx on my home development machine and have had no luck with NIDAQms recognizing the hardware.  In system, device manager, i do see USB6229 and when i check it i get a response that the device is working and is ready for use.

4.  In NIDAQmx, i don't even see the NIDAQmx devices tab.  All i see is the PXI.

5.  The other strange thing is that when i installed NIDAQmx on my development machine, re-booted the sysem, then powered up the USB-6229, and selected to install the drivers automaticaly, i got a splash screen that asked if i want to configure the device.  On my other system, i never get that splash screen.

6.  The system i am having problems with is:  Dual-Xeon workstation, 2GB RAM, running Win XP Pro SP2.

7.  The only two things that i can think of that are different are:

a.  The workstation was running a previous non-MX NIDAQ and supported a PCI-MIO-16XE-50 DAQ.  However, that card was removed long time ago and the device was removed from "device manager".  I also removed the legacy NIDAQ software.

b.  The workstation is running Office 2007 Enterprise, Visio 2007, and Project 2007.  I know that these apps should have nothing to do with NIDAQmx but i have found that there are some software apps which absolutely do NOT work with Office 2007 installed.

I would really like to get this issue resolved because i do most of my development work in my home office where my workstation has a lot more processing power than my work computer.  Most of the work that i do with N.I. DAQ cards use DASYLab ver 9; with some of my applications, in VB6, are deployed to our international manufacturing plants to do electrical targeting.

Any help or guidance will be most appreciated.  Should you find the time to call, my home office number is:  1.216.521.5769 and my work number is 1.440.899.6181. 

Sincerely,

joe pavelchak (aka the ancient one - - much too old to keep doing this) 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(9,325 Views)

Hello. 

I have a few tips that may help us resolve this problem sooner rather than later.  First, I would recommend shutting down your PC and removing your 6229.  Then reboot and uninstall/reinstall the DAQmx driver.  Power down, plug in the USB device, and reboot.  This will follow the recommended installation procedure of drivers before hardware and could resolve this issue.  If you have already tried this, I would recommend acquiring other DAQ cards that you may have in your possession (or around the office).  If we try these, and they work, then it points to an issue with that specific device.  Also, do you have other devices (keyboard, mouse, etc) that are plugged into your USB bus?  What happens if you remove all other USB devices from the computer and attempt to detect the 6229? 

If you launch MAX, are you able to right click on "Devices and Interfaces">> "Create New" and then select "NI DAQmx Simulated Device"?  After you select a specific DAQ device to simulate, are you able to see that under the NI-DAQmx devices tab?

Let me know and I will continue to assist you!

Brian F
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Message 4 of 7
(9,311 Views)
Dear Sir,

Hello.  Many thanks for the suggestions.  I will try them probably tomorrow; after i recover from the following fiasco:

Since the USB-6229 was not working at all, i resurected my M series PCI-6259, which had always worked great with an older version of NIDAQmx, powered down the workstation, removed power input, installed the PCI card, restored power, and powered up the workstation.  XP found the new hardware device and i took the default and installed the drivers automatically.  Checking the device manager, the PCI-6259 was functional and ready for use.  Checking NIDAQmx, that card was not recognized.  Getting somewhat frustrated at this point, i removed the card from device manager (but left the card in the computer) and re-booted.  XP again found the new device and i again took the default to install the drivers.  Again, it was the same scenarion.  So, this time i did not remove the device in device manager but simply re-booted the system.  As the system started to fully come up in XP, it reached some point where some process was being started.  At that point, the workstation re-booted by itself.  I tried to bring the system up 4 times and each time it hit that point it re-booted the computer.  I then tried to do a system restore but that did not work eather.  So, i had to re-image the entire system to pre-NIDAQmx.  Although i run a RAID, apparently both drives got corrupted somehow; i was lucky that i do periodic system images just as a backup procedure.  I am back to full operation again but am now a bit concerned to try anything else; at least for a day or so. 

One other item, prior to this fiasco, i also tried shutting down my firewall just prior to doing the automatic drivers installation and that did not help either.

So, i am really puzzled with this.  I have installed NIDAQ, the legacy and the mx versions, probably more than 40 times and in all cases everything worked just fine.  Even on this workstation, i had successfully run several PCI-6259s and many PCI-MIO-16XE-50s (during various development sessions).  The only difference between when i ran the M series PCI-6259s and now is that i am now using the latest NIDAQmx software/drivers and am running Office 2007 Enterprise (which should have nothing to do with the NIDAQmx software).  I could install my older version of NIDAQmx, the one that ran the M series cards, but apparently that version does not support the USB-6229; i tried that on a different box and it did not work.

Do you think i should find a support phone number and try to get some help that way?

Sincerely,
joe
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(9,306 Views)
Hi Joe. 

I am sorry to hear that you have seen further obstacles in troubleshooting the original issue.  How is everything going in regards to the 6259 issue? 

In terms of calling into support at NI, you can call the number 866 275 6964.  This will route you to our customer service department.  Simply tell them that you would like assistance from the application engineering team and your call will then be routed accordingly. 

Let us know and we will be happy to help. 

Brian F
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(9,291 Views)

I have the same problem. My mistake was that I installed a trial version of LabView 2012 with the device drivers on my Windows 7 32-bit OS. Once the trial version time was over I uninstalled everything. When I tried installing NIDAQmx 8.7.1f3, NIMAX would not see my USB-6229 for the life of me. It appears just fine under device manager. I have called NI numerous times and they can't figure out why or know how to go about troubleshooting. It would not even see my serial port devices. I had to separetly download and install NIVISA 5.2 and finally my serial port devices were listed in my NIMAX, but no USB-6229.

This also happened to me a few years back on a Windows XP Pro computer. If you mistakenly install the newer NIDAQ drivers and you ever have to back track or roll back NIDAQ drivers you are in for a HUGE surprise. I don't believe anything NI support told me that they have never seen that before etc. This has been an issue for years and they still haven't figured it out. They prefer you purchase newer products, rather than keep using the legacy products. Problem with that is I can't be speding 8K and 10K every two or three years just because they don't want to help and make the effort to figure out the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,652 Views)