From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement encoder's hybrid counting/timing method in DasyLab to determine velocity?

Hello!

How to implement encoder's hybrid counting/timing method in DasyLab to determine velocity? I am using Wavebook 516A and WBK 17 

I succeeded to implement Method 1: signal integration and Method 2: Pulse Timing.

Thank You!

Vedran 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,133 Views)

The manual for the Wavebook says "The installation CD includes language drivers for DASYLab® and LabVIEW™. The CD also includes program examples for each"

I recommend starting with those example programs. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,117 Views)

I sent an email directly to Iotech and one of their engineers answered me.

"An encoder uses at least two inputs and sometime three if the Z index signal is required. Typically the first WBK17 channel is set to Encoder and the second channel is set to waveform Period. The first channel represents position and the second channel Velocity because the input can be use to get the Period of the incoming waveform. In other words the Period mode will return milliseconds and from that you can calculate frequency. To get velocity is simple calculation of distance multiplied by frequency. For example, if each count of the encoder is equal to 1mm of linear travel and the frequency is 2000Hz then 2000 times 1mm = 2000mm per second. To set this up select an Analog Input choosing WBK17 Counter Input type and place it on the screen. Double click the Analog Input icon and add two channels. Select Channel 0, press the Channel Setup so that the WBK17 Counter Channel properties appear. Set the channel Measurement mode to Encoder and exit the dialog. Next select Channel 1 and set the Measurement mode to Period. In the Period mode the channel will return time in milliseconds and in order to get frequency you must use a Formula mode with the equation ( 1/IN(0) ) * 1000. Finally use another Formula mode to convert frequency into velocity."

Maybe this answer will be helpful to someone.

Greetings!

Vedran

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,088 Views)
Were you able to try the examples?  Were they helpful? 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,062 Views)

I looked that examples but I wasn't able to do anything with them unfortunately. I didn't use DasyLab before so I suppose that is also the reason why they weren't helpful to me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       http://www.imagesforme.com/show.php/872865_MethodHybridcountingtimingmethod.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               This is the method which I have to implement in DasyLab. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,030 Views)
Since you're working with third-party hardware, please post your question on the forums operated by the group that develops DASYLab: http://www.dasylab.com/content/mydasylab.php?action=start
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,995 Views)