From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encoder does not read correctly

I am trying to read a rotary encoder with DasyLab and the e1608 and I am not getting consistent results.  I have a gear on the encoder meshed with an ACME rod that rotates at about 10 RPM. I am trying to read in 2 minute intervals but the pulses I read each time deviate by about 3-5%.  When I read it with a PLC, the counts are very consistent but not DasyLab.  Any ideas on what I can do to get more accurate encoder readings on the counter input?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,802 Views)

Jeff,

Please contact Measurement Computing directly to address this. 

they are more equipped to handle how the E-1608 counter inputs work than anyone else on this forum.

You can contact them via the web site:

http://www.mccdaq.com/support/support_form.aspx

Or call them. 

http://www.mccdaq.com/support/support_form.aspx

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,783 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion.  This is the response I got from the manufacturer in case it will help anyone in the future.

"Unfortunately you are seeing the limitation of the counter of the E-1608.  It has no gate and is time controlled by DASYLab’s timer which is subject to the operating system’s hierarchy of priorities.  Meaning, other parts of the Windows operating system will periodically be given a higher priority than DASYLab, and so there is an occasional lag in the counter read.  This is true of DASYLab or any program attempting to read that counter."

So it looks like I'll need to go with a PLC.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,761 Views)