From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get more than 1 channel to read using DAQmx with cDAQ-9172 under Windows 7

Solved!
Go to solution

I have Load cell, Voltage, and Thermocouple inputs connected to a cDAQ-9172. My sensor inputs have been scaled and checked in MAX, and all work there.  In DASYLab 13, the driver is "dcDASY.dll" and the Hardware Setup is "NI MAX"

When I add a NI-DAQmx Analog Input task (i.e. a load cell) it displays correctly. If I add a second channel to the task and select it, I get this message:
"The task channel name saved with the module is not available. DASYLab will reset the module settings to the first usable task channel name."
The task name stays the same for each new channel I add. If I change the task name using the pull-down tab, it states:
"You have configured several output channels for the module. If you modify the task, you lose the settings. Do you want to modify the task?"
Both channels display identical data, and I can't get more than one channel to work at a time.It seems like I've missed something obvious, but I can't find it.

Settings are:

Meas. and Automation Explorer 4.6.1
        NI-DAQmx 9.0

Hardware: -cDAQ 9172
        slot 1- NI 9215 (0-10 Vdc analog voltage)
        slot 2- NI 9211 (thermocouple)
        slot 3- NI 9481    (relays)
        slot 4- NI 9237    (bridge input w/ excitation)
        slot 5- NI 9402    (DIO)
        slot 6- NI 9263    (0-10 Vdc analog out)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,405 Views)

Each DASYLab NI Input module can only link to one device. The Load cell, the voltage and the TC are on different slots - DASYLab sees those as three different devices.

Set up different tasks for each device and a new A/D module for each of the tasks.

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,400 Views)

Thanks CJ. That makes sense and has fixed the channel inputs to a point. The correct channel information now shows up in the AI tasks, but when I try to run it, it shows:

Resource requested by this task has already been reserved by a different task.
Task Name: 9211 TC

Status Code: -200022

Error Details:

Function:DAQmxStartTask

Error: -200022

File:DAQmxStartTask.h

Cell:120

Error Source: NI-DAQmx API

I have 2 thermocouples in the NI 9211. I have tried this using the both the Voltage and Bridge modules and each gives the same error with the 9211. Any thoughts on what is wrong?

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,364 Views)

BTW, the error message DID NOT have "Smileys" in it. Don't know where they came from.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,363 Views)

We're just trying to soften the error message.

Smiley Very Happy

It's possible that you included those channels in a different task? They need to be mutually exclusive.

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,360 Views)

I have a separate AI task for each cDAQ module:

3 thermocouples into the 9211

1 load cell into the 9237

2 Volt inputs into the 9215

The "Task Name" shows that my 3 AI modules are available to me.

I have checked each task and all of the inputs reference the correct module and the correct channel.

I tried removing the Thermocouple task and adding a Load Cell task. With the Load Cell and Voltage IN in separate tasks, I get the same error, but it shows the Load Cell as the culprit:

Resource requested by this task has already been reserved by a different task.
Task Name: 9237 LC

Status Code: -200022

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,355 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Spieler

You cannot run different (continuous) AI tasks on a single chassis. The first tasks that is started will "reserve the resource".

Combine the AIs of different modules into a single task (see attached picture): First, create the termocouple task. Then add the AIs from 9237 (e.g. Kraft) and 9215 (volts) by using the button with the blue Plus symbol. Set the task's timing mode to "continuous". Save the task, start DASYLab (second picture).

Modifying a task (adding channels etc) in MAX while DASYLab is still running, will result in unexpected behaviour. To synchronize the MAX configuration with DASYLab, you'll have to close/restart DASYLab or use the "sync" function (see picture 3 "syncmax.jpg"). You can set this function as shortcut by right-clicking one of the eight green or greyed circle things.

You should think about an update of the MAX/DAqmx drivers. 9.x is a bit outdated.

Update at least to DAQmx 9.9, better to 14.x, or 15.0 (stay away from 15.1.x).

M.Sc. Holger Wons | measX GmbH&Co. KG, Mönchengladbach, Germany | DASYLab, DIAdem, LabView --- Support, Projects, Training | Platinum NI Alliance Partner | www.measx.com
Download All
Message 7 of 9
(6,330 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Spieler

That fixed it. I updated to MAX 15.0 and followed your instructions, and it's doing exactly what I need it to do.

Thanks to you both.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,294 Views)

Thanks Holger.

Jim... I am glad that worked. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,289 Views)