From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute energy

I am currently processing analogue signals taken from a piezoelectric transducer (lamb waves), running them through amplifiers and converting them to digital format. The output i have set is a graph which shows the voltage of each event, with associated ring down counts. I have set threshold voltages to only count an event once it passes a set threshold. I am looking to integrate the area between the threshold line and when the voltage passes up through the threshold until it passes back below the threshold. I am  doing this to establish the energy of this event, as a measure of its integrated area size, absolute energy. Obviously the output oscilloscope ranges positive voltage to negative, therefore i need to interpret the signal as the integral would equal zero, would this be to find the absolute value of RMS?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,948 Views)

Hi Sam,

Are you using LabVIEW or DASYLab?

Why don't you add a DC offset after the amplification stage to shift all the values into the positive domain in your scope? The other way would be to integrate the positive half and the negative half seperately and then summate them together?

Best regards,

Mark M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,929 Views)

Hi Mark,

I am using DasyLab. My knowledge of the software is very very limited. I am not sure what you mean by an offset? How would i make the values positive then integrate them when the ring down counts surpasses a set threshold level?

Sorry but i am a complete novice at this, and have a short time frame to get to grips with the program as my thesis is due in in the next month or two!

Could you explain the steps please?

That would be most appreciated.

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,923 Views)
blank_page

Hi Sam,

The offset I meant was just to add a DC voltage after your amplifier circuit so everything will be shifted up, then you will end up with only positive values. As I don't know how exactly your system is set up and the hardware are using, I cannot offer any kind of specific steps for you to follow. But to add a DC voltage to your AC waveform, simply connect a DC voltage source (power supply, batteries or voltage follower) to the same point you are measuring. 

Unfortunately we cannot support you with any DASYLab programming queries, please consult this forum post to get the support for DASYLab.

Best regards,

Mark M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
Message 4 of 5
(6,920 Views)

The Differentiation/Integration module allows you to define trigger conditions for the start and stop of the integration, when you select the "With Input" mode.

Are you working with V10? 

Message Edited by CJ Butler -- DASYLab Pro on 02-06-2009 04:11 PM
Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,908 Views)