From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

counters synchronization

Hello everyone
So, here is my problem..
I want to generate 4 synchronized continuous pulses and I have a NI 9401 plugged in a cDAQ 9171. My thought was to create a pulse generation task with four counters and in order to synchronize them I trigger the three counters to the fourth. I have tried that before using another device (usb 6351) and it worked. However now, i get an error...

"Specified route cannot be satisfied, because it requires resources that are currently in use by another route." 

Then, with a cable I connected one counter with another non-counter terminal in order to use this as my trigger source and then i got another error...

"Lines 4 to 7 of this port are configured for input. Cannot configure these lines for output at this time"

It's like the device doesn't support bidirectional operation of the channels.

Is there any way I can finally synchronize my pulses, or I have to change the device? I' attach the code if you want to check it.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,471 Views)

Hi mouth.

The 9401 is different than the USB-6351. My guess is, that the PFI lines are not connected to the counters in the 6351, but in the 9401 module there are a connection. When creating counter tasks on the 9401, the couter output is automaticcaly routed to the PFI lines on the module itself:
cnt0 = PFI3

cnt1 = PFI7

cnt2 = PFI1

cnt3 = PFI5

Also, the 9401 module is a bit more special, in the way, that it needs to be reserved in order to perform Bidirectional DIO. For more info, you can read this KB.

In order to solve the problem, I can see two options:

1) On the Channels In for the DAQmx trigger, right click and select IO Name Filtering and place a checkmark in Include Advanced Terminals. Now it is possible to select the signal called /Chassis/Ctr0InternalOutput. I have not tested with hardware, but from the top of my head, then it should work 🙂

2) You can also create a dummy AI/AO task, and use the start trigger signal as the trigger for your counter tasks.

Let me know if you can use these suggestions.

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,441 Views)

Hey Alex,
I tried your first solution and it worked. Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,437 Views)