From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module and wiring for frequency measurement with Yokogawa flowmeters and a speed pickup

I need to measure the frequency output of three Yokogawa AXFA14G flowmeter and a speed pickup using a cDAQ module and 9188 chassis.  I am unsure of the best module and the correct wiring.

The Yokogawa meters that I have can provide a passive pulse output.  I have attached the wiring diagram.  The power supply must be less than 30VDC and 0.2A.  I expect to see frequencies up to 11,000Hz.

I also need to measure a speed pickup.  The speed pickup has three wires:  The power supply 5 to 15 VDC, the output signal (5V TTL) and the common wire.  I expect to see frequencies up to 4,000Hz.  

I would like to read three flow meters and the speed pickup with one cDAQ module.  I would also like to power all four devices with one power supply.  I am unsure if the devices are considered sinking or sourcing.  I am unsure of the correct module and the correct wiring.

My options appear to be:

NI 9401.  Powering flow meters and speed pickup with a 5 volt supply

NI 9411.  Has a built in regulator.  I would have to be able to measure both device types as signgle ended.

If I only measure the flowmeters, I could consider using the 9423 (if the flowmeters are (sinking).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,258 Views)

It looks like the NI-9411 will work for your application the best

Ben H.
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,240 Views)