From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create short (ns) pulses with a timer/counter

Dear all,

I am currently looking into purchasing equipment for a new test setup.

I will need to create 5 ns long pulses as a sync signal for a laser. The repetition rate will be ~20kHz.

Can I create a 5 ns long pulse with a timer/counter like the PXIe-6614? Or should I use something else.

I need a very reproducable start time of the pulse, this is why I am thinking of a timer/counter.

Any advise in this is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,844 Views)

A pulse width as short as 5 ns is not achievable with standard DAQ boards including the 6614.  But if your real requirement is a pulse width of at least 5ns, then the 6614 (and many other DAQ boards) can work just fine.  The 6614 oscillator is spec'ed especially tight for its timing characteristics, so it'll be better than most other boards if you need the extra accuracy.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,819 Views)