Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6683H GPS Synchronization Questions

Hello,

I am using a 6683H in a 1085 Chassis (Gen 2) and want to synchronize it to GPS as tightly as I can, and I came across some device behaviors I wanted more information on (I tried going through the manuals beforehand):

System:

1085 Chassis

6683H Card

PXIe-PCIe 8388 

NI-Sync 14.5

NI Visa 15.0

Ni LabVIEW 14.5 SP1 f3

1.Looking at the block diagram of the card (nice diagram!):BlockDiagram.PNG

in the Synchronization Clock Generation and Routing section, I see a connection from the PXI chassis clock (PXI_CLK10), and one from the GPS receiver feeding it.

How are they operating clock-wise when I am programming the 6683H to output a future time event (using CreateFutureTImeEvent), in terms of driving the circuitry to output a trigger at that time?

More specifically, if I am receiving a GPS signal and I am not connecting the 6683H clock out to the PXI_CLK10 in, which clock is driving/synchronizing the future time event generation...the GPS derived one, the TCXO (which may be disciplining to the GPS signal?) or the PXI_CLK10?

(I assume it's the TCXO as the manual states "The PXI trigger outputs may be synchronized to CLK10 except when routing future time events" but wasn't sure if there was additional synchronization going on elsewhere I should know about)

Also, is the clock driving the future time event the BoardClk?

2.I have a GPS module that outputs a very stable 10 MHz output and I wanted to try to use it on the 6683H to increase the stability of my system, so I tried following the guide here for clock routing (very nice!): http://www.ni.com/tutorial/53314/en/

(My thought process is to take that module's 10 MHz out and drive/discipline the 6683H's clocks with it)

For some reason, I can't seem to follow the "route the PXI_CLK10 to the BoardClk" step here:

Route.PNG

as it seems the Test Panel on my system doesn't recognize the PXI_CLK10 in this test panel

ClockIssue.PNG

However, when I route the clocks using the VI "Route Clock.vi" I get no error in doing this:

RouteClock.PNG

is there anything obvious I am doing wrong here?

I know there's a TCXO in the 6683H from the documentation, and I'm assuming it's by default linked to the OnBoardClk, but am unsure of what the current clock connection to BoardClk is (is there a way to query this?)

I am primarily interested in this for the CreateFutureTImeEvent and CreateClock functions.

3.I believe I can improve my antenna setup, but before I do so, I wanted to know what exactly is going on here:

No matter how long I wait (in the presence of more than 4 satellites), the self-survey never seems to complete

SelfSurvey.png

However, from the GPS tutorial: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/53314/en/ it says that when the self-survey is complete, the Time Reference Present indicator should be true, and it is although the survey is not complete as shown here:

RefPresent.png

Does this mean the time reference is valid, but the self-survey is not complete, and if so, are there any specs for performance degradation in this state? (I want to see if I need to move that antenna...)

Thanks for any help/input regarding these questions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,458 Views)

Hi Colonel1013,

You made a pretty good description on your system, I have a 6683 somewhere around the office, I can take some time to address it later this week, but I think you are better off creating a service request and ask for help directly to ni support.

https://sine.ni.com/srm/app/getassistance

Message 2 of 6
(4,404 Views)

Thanks!

I had the very same thought the next day and am doing that.

If I find anything interesting I'll share it here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,401 Views)

That's cool, I will be pending

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,398 Views)

Hello! I have the same questions(including 3 questions) with you and i can not find any solution.Have you solved this question? Looking forward to your reply!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,045 Views)

Hi Yangmie, 

Have you tried manually typing in the Source inputs like Oscillator and PXI_Clk10 in the Test Panel Routing Tab?

The only two valid sources for BoardClk are the on-board Oscillator and PXI_Clk10You should be able to see the routes available in the Device Routes tab: What Internal Routes are Available on My Device?

Thanks,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,013 Views)