Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5V power supply at SCB 68 from PCI 6602?

I want to check my new counter-timer NI PCI 6002. It seems all OK but the 5v power supply ( pin 1- SCB 68 -TIO devices) is not available?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(7,454 Views)

This is probably due to either a jumper setting inside the SCB-68, or possibly a blown fuse in there.  The default jumper settings on those boxes are usually configured for the multifunction boards.  The only time I've received one factory-configured for the 6602 was when the 6602 was the *only* DAQ board in the same order.  And that has always seemed reasonable.  In fact, I was rather surprised that it *ever* got pre-configured for the 6602, and wouldn't count on that being a standard policy.

Anyway, here's a link to the manual.

-Kevin P.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(7,440 Views)
I have check the fuse and all setting jumpers inside SCB68 ( SCB68- Quick Reference label TIOP device). All are OK but 5v supply is not available. (I even check the voltage at the fuse : 0V!!)? Are there jumpers on the 6602 card? I use a new cable as required.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(7,433 Views)

If the DIP switches are set to have accessory power disabled, it may well make sense that you see 0V at the fuse.  Sorry, don't know what else to suggest.  Anyone else?

-Kevin P.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(7,425 Views)

Hi hanh,

Be sure you are referencing the +5V power to the DGND as it is specified in the 6602 Manual on page 3-18. I verified that the connection is available on the SCB 68.

Steve B

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(7,420 Views)
I used  my SCB 68 with a DAQ card before, 5v supply is OK. Now I use it with new card PCI 6602 ( with standard  cable for PCI 6602) , I can't use 5V supply. It is not a big problem, but I am afraid of the quality of the new card or the new cable?
I have read on SCB-68 circuit diagram (D-1) : the 5v supply must be present before the fuse.
By the way, can you explain me about " self-resetting fuse" (NI6602 manual).
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(7,415 Views)

Dunno about the "self-resetting" fuse.

You *do* realize that the pin for +5V from a 6602 (pin 1) is different than the pin for +5V on, for example, multifunction boards (pin 8 I think), right?.  This stuff is all in the manual linked earlier.

-Kevin P.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(7,393 Views)

Hi hanh,

Here is some additional information about the self-resetting fuse and some possible issue that may relate to what you are experiencing. Does your card function properly when you use it?

Self-Resetting Fuse Additional Information
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E48B7DDC4EA9DE0886257333005C28FE?OpenDocument

Steve B

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(7,384 Views)
I have checked one of its main function (NI6602): generation of train pulse (using Measurement &Automation): it worked well.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(7,379 Views)

Hi hanh,

If the card seems to function properly it seems like an issue with the fuse. Are you able to use a different cable or breakout connector to verify the same results? Were you able to follow the testing described in the KnowledgeBase article from my previous post. You could use a resistance measurement to be sure that the fuses and connections are valid the +5V line.

Steve B

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(7,348 Views)