From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 PWMS and RPM measurement with 9178 chassis and 9401 digital module

I want to have 3 PWM control channels and 1 RPM measurement channel using a 9401 module and the cDAQ-9178 chassis. I want to make sure I'll be able to utilize all 4 counters, as I think according to some reading that this may be a problem if I am using timed loops in my program. If this will indeed be a problem, is there any other hardware I can purchase or will I need to look into upgrading the chassis?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,717 Views)
Hey there, the 9401 does not actually support the Angular Velocity task type. So you will have to calculate the RPM measurements yourself by using the counter frequency measurement. You should not have a problem using all 4 counters on this card though. This KB might help you answer some questions: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4118E8CE24F4101786257EAB00597A93.

However, with the consideration of using timed loops, it's hard to say how you will have to architect your code, but your card is capable of taking all of these measurements.
Mathew H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,667 Views)