Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag Configuration Editor (TCE) for Machine Control

You are correct. That requirement was missing in the white paper. Thank you for pointing it out. That will go into my known issues list.
Brian K.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 47
(8,095 Views)

I recently stumbled upon the CVT/CCC/TCE reference libraries and am interested in learning about them. They seem like a very scalable solution, however I'm not sure how to go about implementing it.

I'm in the process of designing a SCADA system for my company to manage cRIO controlled manufacturing cells. I'll briefly describe the scenario:

RT System-

-cRIO running a custom setpoint profile that controls oil/water heating units (via MODBUS)

-Records/monitors TC data

-Handles user pushbuttons/indicators and StackLights

-Controls Hydraulics systems

Central Server-

-Contains a Citadel Database/uses DSC module (already bought this) to log values (ex: Thermocouples) from each manufacturing cell

-Has a application (VI compiled as a stand-alone .exe) running for each manufacturing cell

-this app monitors for alarm conditions, sends out messages/alerts/e-mails

-manages who is "logged in" to process, who has write control/read-only

HMI System-

-connects to the Central server (Citadel Database) to display relevant information

-allows user to input data (ex: part #s and job #s) and start cycles on the cRIO

-configuration parameters

This is the basic design of the system, it is not currently in existence. The theory behind it is making the manufacturing cells "PC independent" in that the HMI PC is NOT required for anything other than initially telling the cRIO to run, and giving it the appropriate cycle information. Once this happens, the HMI could blow up, and in theory the operator could go to another HMI and log into the process (since they are always connecting directly to the central server).

So I guess my question is, in what parts of this could the CVT/CCC/TCE libraries be most beneficial? (as an aside, I have used shared variables extensively in the past, and also use the cRIO Scan Engine)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--CLD--
LV 6.1 to 2015 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 47
(8,061 Views)

I think the bigest thing to think about is that the CCC is not a 1 to many communication mechanism which this project sounds like it might be.  If you are familiar with Shared Variables then I would continue to use those because they will give you the one to many.  The largest advantage of these libraries is that they are entirely open source.  So if you like to "roll your own" solution, or you are not allowed propritary communication technol;ogy, then this is a good starting point.  If you do want to use the machine control reference architecture I would suggest starting http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6145 

Brian K.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 47
(8,051 Views)

I am having a problem with using the TCE in LabVIEW 2011.  It is saying that:

Error 1125 occurred at Invoke Node in CIETag.lvclass:ProjInfo.vi->CIETag.lvclass:BrowseProject.vi->tag.lvclass:tagUI.vi

Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  File version is later than the current LabVIEW version.

I am wondering if this is because the TCE is in an older version of LabVIEW.

Thanks,

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 47
(8,003 Views)
That is correct. I didn't want to include the LV 2009 run time engine in the deployment because of the size, and that fact you most likely need LV to use it anyways. You can get the runtime from http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1406/lang/en. See is that helps.
Brian K.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 47
(8,000 Views)

I have LV2011 and the TCE will open and do much of what I imagine it is supposed to do.  I can create the XML file, etc. but I can't link to a CIE resource when I browse to a project.

I tried downloading the 2009RTE and it wouldn't let me install it saying I have a more current version.

Thanks,

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 47
(7,995 Views)

I was able to use the source version of the TCE and get it to load the cRIO channels for generating the CIE link.  I was not able to see channels that are on my EtherCAT expansion chassis.  Any help on seeing those, or what the address format would be for those would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 47
(7,977 Views)

Was steered to CVT solution for high CPU usage on cRIO 9074 using sharde variables...

Started with the TCE.
Installed without issue.
However, It errored out a few times when I removed some tags. Had to kill the application because it became unresponsive.
I forged ahead,
I entered tags as CIE tags of the appropriate type and saved the xml. (no address specified as these tags will be written with data from modbus pallette vis.
Closed TCE - Relaunched TCE
Got Error 537020 which is not described. And TCE again became unresponsive.

So I opened the xml in xml notepad - no xml structure errors (XML notepad will not open if a syntax error exists (I am new to xml).
So I renamed two folders...Inputs to Ins, and Outputs to Outs (thinking Input and Output might be reserved names)
Still No love..

Not sure what to do.

xml is attached (renamed to .txt as the forums not consider xml a valid extension!) incase some kind sole would like to try opening it in TCE

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 47
(7,926 Views)
Hi S1ack, So I ran your config file through the source posted and found the problem. Ultimately it is with the way the TCE parses the file. It does it using file reads with carriage return deliminators. Not a good choice on my behalf. I should have used regular expressions. The carriage returns in your descriptions are throwing it off. I went ahead and fixed the file so that it can be loaded. I'll put that on the known issues list. Try this file.
Brian K.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 47
(7,910 Views)

Missed the file

Brian K.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 47
(7,909 Views)