Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartBalloon Library

Please post questions, feedback and suggestions on the LabVIEW SmartBalloon Library in this thread. 

https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/tools-network/download.smartballoon-library-for-labview.html

SmartBalloon is a simple library that allows you do display notifications in a corner of your screen. You can customize the appearance of the balloon to be displayed (color, text, position...) to fit your application needs.

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,372 Views)

VIPM cannot download NI SmartBalloon because ist expects version 1.0.1.24 which is not found on the NI server (only 1.0.1.22 there).

Regards

Matthias

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(9,020 Views)

This should be corrected now.

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(9,000 Views)

Hello everybody,

this is Giuseppe Barillaro, Applications Engineer for National Instruments Italy.

A customer of ours called yesterday since he is getting issues when using the Smart Balloon Add-on.

In fact, he told me that the functions work fine when the .vi is run, but when he create an executable starting from this .vi file, functions do not work anymore. I tried to replicate the error and this issue is actually occurring. Steps I tried for reproducing the issue were:

- open the LabVIEW example for Balloon library;

- created a project starting from this vi;

- created the executable.

When I ran the executable and tried to tap the Top button, the balloons shows off on the up-right of the screen, but if I tap the Bottom button the respective ballon does not show off and then neither the Top button work anymore. 

I tried to debug the executable and I found out that when the button Bottom is pressed in the executable, the path of the picture for the function ReadPNG is different from the one pointed during the execution of the single vi. So an error occurs and the executable does not work anymore.

The customer said that in his application, when he creates the executable, it just does not work from the beginning of the execution.

My question is: is it a bug of the library or we must include something more during the creation of the executable?

I look forward to heraing from you and I wish you a really nice day.

Kind regards.

Giuseppe Barillaro

Applications Engineer

National Instruments Italy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,011 Views)

Hello Giuseppe,

The picture used in the example is pointed by a relative path. That is a but unfortunate but it is "documented" in the Init Symbol Text Balloon VI. In an executable, the "Current VI Path" does not refer to the same relative path so it errors out. The example uses a shift register for errors so further actions are not executed because of this error. That's something I'll shortly correct soon, so thanks for the feedback.

As per the relative path issue, I strongly recommend you (and the customer) build your own relative path to avoid this kind of behaviors 🙂

Let me know if you have more questions (As NI employee you can also contact me by mail/skype...).

Regards,

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,982 Views)