Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Library for Converting Between LabVIEW and XML Data (GXML)

I didn't make any functional changes.  I put all the VIs into a GXML library to remove the namespacing, added a compatibility library for backwards compatibility, and built the library into a package.

I have gotten dozens of requests to make GXML into a package so that is what this release is for.  I should have put that into the release notes.

Regards,

Jeff Tipps

NI Systems Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 91 of 132
(5,450 Views)

Oh, dear -- I got carried away and wrote a 12-page "Some Thoughts on GXML".  It includes some comments on design philosophy, some suggestions for changes, some ways to easily add significant functionality, and some example code.  This is a wonderful implementation of XML in LabVIEW, producing compact, "human-readable" code, yet easy to extend the XML "model" into situations such as Real-Time logging of data over extended time periods.

Bob Schor

Message 92 of 132
(5,403 Views)

Well I sure appreciate your time in compiling this.  I look forward to reading it.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 93 of 132
(5,402 Views)

Wow, Bob, very nice!

I haven't had enough time to fully go over this, but from just a brief scan I already learned a few things about GXML that I didn't know, and we've been using this as our main configuration file type for over a year.

I look forward to finishing the read and digesting it all.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 94 of 132
(5,396 Views)

Where can I find the release notes for GXML? I'd like to look them over before upgrading my project with the latest release.

Thanks!

Joe

--------------------

"I have made no decision...
My main concern now is to open as many options to the future as I can."
-- from Stephen Baxter's "The Time Ships"
0 Kudos
Message 95 of 132
(5,371 Views)

I've just "installed" the GXML library (LV2013 and GXML 1.4.1.7), but I can't understand why I get error 537501 with my simple example.
Can anyone help me?
Paolo.

0 Kudos
Message 96 of 132
(5,325 Views)

Your example consisted of a Strict Type Def cluster.  I wired the TypeDef into the GXML Generator and the XML String Out that it produced (without any error) was

<GXML_Root>
  <Cluster mems='1'>
    <Numeric type='DBL'>0</Numeric>
  </Cluster>
</GXML_Root>

So I'm puzzled why you are having problems ...

0 Kudos
Message 97 of 132
(5,318 Views)

Jeff,

I notice there has been a new release (1.4.1.7) of GXML.  I'm happy to submit my "extensions and revisions" to you for consideration in inclusion in GXML (or, if you prefer, to work with you to integrate it in, expanding the examples, providing documentation, etc.).  I think having a "single point of distribution" for something as useful as this is a Very Good Idea ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 98 of 132
(5,315 Views)

I see the same as Bob, so perhaps the actual code you are attempting would be a better example.

I've dealt with that error a few times (it is thrown in the Name Filter.vi) Here are some possible reasons (all related to the labels in the data type you wire up to the "Variant" terminal of the Generator.vi):

1) Blank or all whitespace label

2) Non-letter/number/period/dash/underscore character ([^a-zA-Z0-9.-_]) anywhere in a label

3) First character in the label is not a letter

The error text that you see should actually tell you the name of the label it is having problems with, so that would be a good place to start looking.

FWIW, I've customized a copy of the Name Filter.vi to strip all [^A-Za-z0-9.-_] (non letter, number, period, dash or underscore) characters, so I now only get that error if I have a blank label or one that starts with a non-letter. I couldn't think of a good method to replace a non-letter on the first character... so I'm bit by this error from time to time if I have number labeled controls in my data.

0 Kudos
Message 99 of 132
(5,309 Views)

Sorry, I've attached the wrong file. The correct VI is now attached.

Here is a screenshot.

GXML Error

0 Kudos
Message 100 of 132
(5,300 Views)