Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVT Client Communication (CCC)

Bug in CCC v3.0.1.6:

NI_CCC.lvlib:FG Client Configurations.vi does not set attributes on its lookup variant. It uses the "Get Variant Attribute" primitive everywhere on the diagram, but it should be using the "Set Variant Attribute" primitive inside each Case Structure. The result is that "configured?" always returns FALSE for the "Check" actions. This has a trickle-down effect on several API functions.

Do you guys test your software? Smiley Frustrated I know this is "just a reference design", but it affords little utility if I have to manually validate its deepest inner workings just to confirm that it does what's promised. If you could provide a set of automated tests with it -- especially regression tests for bugs you've already fixed -- you would eliminate a lot of cost and unceratinty for your users. I suspect that you intend for it to be more component than reference anyway, since you're distributing it as a versioned API package instead of a source code project.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 98
(9,854 Views)

@David_Staab wrote:

Bug in CCC v3.0.1.6:

NI_CCC.lvlib:FG Client Configurations.vi does not set attributes on its lookup variant. It uses the "Get Variant Attribute" primitive everywhere on the diagram, but it should be using the "Set Variant Attribute" primitive inside each Case Structure. The result is that "configured?" always returns FALSE for the "Check" actions. This has a trickle-down effect on several API functions.

Do you guys test your software? Smiley Frustrated I know this is "just a reference design", but it affords little utility if I have to manually validate its deepest inner workings just to confirm that it does what's promised. If you could provide a set of automated tests with it -- especially regression tests for bugs you've already fixed -- you would eliminate a lot of cost and unceratinty for your users. I suspect that you intend for it to be more component than reference anyway, since you're distributing it as a versioned API package instead of a source code project.

Hi David,

Thanks for reporting this.  The fix has been implemented, and it should be live shortly.  This bug was the result of an embarrassing oversight on my part.  Regarding testing, we do indeed run tests before publishing, but this problem wasn't caught because it still allowed data to be sent correcly between client and server.  There was an unneeded "Configure Write" and "Configure Read" message being sent each time a synchronize was done, resulting in degraded performance.  I will work on posting a set of automated tests that we run on this package to provide a little bit more transparency to users, but I may not get it posted for a week or two.

Chris M

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 98
(9,845 Views)

I have a feature request/suggestion for the CCC library:  Add support for named services in the CCC Server and Client configurations. 

Since multiple instances of the server are supported now, it would be convenient to utilize the NI Service Locator to in a case where more than one server instance is launched or when the client doens't know the exact remote port to use.

-Derek Roane
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 98
(9,820 Views)

Tag Configuration Editor generate a XML file but the Load Tags vi from the CVT pallette throws a 1103 error when parsing the XML file. The TCE generated a XML file that I inspected with Word Pad and it looks syntactically correct. I created CVT local tags on the controller and network tags on the HMI that I bound to the CVT tags on the controller. This is the first time for me with TCE, CVT, & CCC so I am assuming that I am doing all this correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 98
(9,808 Views)

Can the CVT be used in .exe builds? When testing in LV the CVT works fine with my server & client VIs. However when building an .exe and running the start server gives an error code 2:

Invoke Node in NI_CCC.lvlib:Start Server.vi->Untitled 1.vi

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 98
(9,772 Views)

@nasu wrote:

Can the CVT be used in .exe builds? When testing in LV the CVT works fine with my server & client VIs. However when building an .exe and running the start server gives an error code 2:

Invoke Node in NI_CCC.lvlib:Start Server.vi->Untitled 1.vi

This error is caused by the fact that Application Builder removes the front panels of all sub VIs when it does a build.  This is usually a good thing because it reduces the size of the built application, but the "Start Server" VI dynamically launches and sets the values of controls on the "Server" VI, which it cannot do when the VI's front panel has been removed.  The simplest way to fix this would be to go into your build settings and deselect the "Remove front panel" checkbox for Server.vi.  You'll first need to drag the NI_CCC.lvlib library out of the Dependencies tree in the project:

sourcefilesettings.png

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 98
(9,766 Views)

Thanks that fixed the problem.

On another note - are there any known issues where the CVT or CCC will cause a computer to completely freeze? I have the .exe build runing on a Win7 laptop acquiding data from a cDAQ and two RS485 devices. It will completely freeze at certaine points (time is variable, 20 min to several hours into acquisisiton), where I will then have no mouse or keyboard responce and acquisition has stopped. Must do a hard power off to reboot. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 98
(9,746 Views)

That sounds to me like a RAM problem. Have you monitored the CPU and RAM usage on your host to see if there is a memory leak?

Eric T

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 98
(9,742 Views)

Thats what I was thinking...I have run it a few times with the task manger open. When it freezes it was using 115-120 MB of RAM the laptop has 8GB but maybe something is corrupt. But my problem is it seems to always hapen when that data acquisition program is running not any other applications. This is my first time using LV2013 and the CCC/CVT. I have another DAQ .exe writen in LV2010 using a qued message handler that has no problems.

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 98
(9,741 Views)

I have never found a problem with the current CVT implementation that wasn't my own fault. I would look at other possible reasons for freezing. Maybe you could post some code or a screenshot?

Eric T

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 98
(9,734 Views)