Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why multiSim changes the component's RefDef when I do delete'-paste operation?

Hello everybody.

I 'd like to know , why MS changes the  component's RefDef when I do delete-paste  operation( Cnt-X -> Cnt-V)?

is it default behavior? 

can it be changed?

MS 13.0

W7

Desktop PC

thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,418 Views)

Hi Michael,

I don't see an option to change this behavior. I did a quick test and it appears that if you don't change the ID and use Multisim default, Delete>>Paste will revert to the original ID, however, if you manually changed the ID after pasting Multisim will change the ID.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,401 Views)

Hello Tien, thanks for response.

you are right, but my situation is I do not use the default RedDef.

and especially it manifests it self if I have to move the component from one page to another.

I 'd like to keep the component's Red Def but MS changes it. 

is it possible to change MS's behavior?

thanks a lot

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,397 Views)

Hi Michael,

There is no way to change this behavior as a user; I will make this suggestion for our developers.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,367 Views)

Yes, it would be nice to have the option to change MS behavior , lets say  in global options or in sheet properties.

and mean while I have found the work around way - it is not very elegant , but hey - it works.

what I do is  after I created the component and its RefDef, I copy the RefDef to  label field. 

What I figured out is the MS does change the RefDed during delete-paste but, does not change the the label field  and copies it as is.

the problem here is I have to copy the text  back from label field to RefDef  for each component after that delete -paste operation .

why do I have to do that ? - somehow the label field is not searchable!!!! but it is the subject for another topic.

so, it does work when I do the delete -paste component in the same sheet and when I move component from one page to another.

thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,350 Views)

Hi Michael, 

I will let the developer know about this issue. 

I don't recommend the method using the label. When you copy/paste the part to a new page, if the reference ID is hidden and it's different than the label when you export the netlist to PCB, the reference ID may not match with what you see on the schematic.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,326 Views)

Hi Michael, 

I will let the developer know about this issue. 

I don't recommend the method using the label. When you copy/paste the part to a new page, if the reference ID is hidden and it's different than the label when you export the netlist to PCB, the reference ID may not match with what you see on the schematic.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,325 Views)

I agree completely.

in order to prevent this kind of situation I make sure I restore the RefDef immediately after I have done paste for specific component.

the best way to do that is to open SpreadSheet View in MS  and put the RefDef column just by Label column.

this way it is very visible where RefDed and Label are not the same and very easy to edit \ change it.

and of coarse if this issue is gonna be fixed in next release, it would not be necessary  to do all these  manipulations.

thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,258 Views)