From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open/edit older .msim, ver before .msim10 in 2005-2008 timeframe

I received a board design folder dated 2008 and the original board version was made in 2005. Latest board design rev folder contains a .EWprj file, an .msim file and others.  I installed the Multisim12 demo from the NI site but when opening the .msim file (designer says its made in the version before multisim10) that file open action causes the Multisim 12 application to crash and the window disappears each time file open is attempted with this production version of the .msim file (made in 2008).

Options seem to be to get an older version of multisim that can open the .msim file to edit it, or export it to a format that newer schematic editing tools can access (such as msim12 or Altium designer which we have). I do have Gerber files for the latest 2008 board rev and am confirming they are the ones used in the factory currently. Worse case, I can use the pdf schematic and redraw it, then confirm it matches the gerbers.  Please advise on suggested course of action to open and edit the older .msim files.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,850 Views)

Hi,

yes, you can try exporting the files into DXF or gerber formats and see if they can be opened in version 12. Otherwise,

please create a service request through which you can send your files to us for further assistance, if that's convenient for you. That way we can take a better look at the problem. If you think the circuit is simple enough, you can redraw it anyways. Hope this helps.

Derek Z.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,843 Views)

Hi SOC_ECE,

If you have a license to Multisim 12, then you should also be able to use Multisim 10. My suggestion would be to download Multisim 10, and try opening the file in that version. If that works, save the file in version 10, then open that file in version 12.

In any case, please either post the file here so we can resolve the issue in a future release, or contact technical support so that they can report the issue.

You can download version 10 from the ftp site: ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/circuitdesignsuite/10.0.1/

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,832 Views)