Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multisim

In the past I have done a transient analysis with Electronic Workbench of an RC circuit with a simple 2 position switch. Using Multisim 12, I can't open or close the switch once the simulation starts.  I was able to do it with EWB. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,802 Views)

Hi Howard,

I don't have EWB 5 installed and can't verify the behavior but in Multisim 12, you cannot toggle the interactive switch in Transient Analysis. You should use the Time Delay switch instead

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,758 Views)

Hi Tien,

The time delay switch worked, but I found it more interesting when showing it to a class to be able to toggle. It seems that if you wire the switch to be closed, and then want to show an example where the switch is initially open and then closes, you need to re-wire the switch. Such is "progress" I guess.

As long as I have your attention, here are two other questions related to duplicating what I've previously done with EWB:

(1) Can you tell the schematic to display the node numbers? Otherwise you need to look at the parameters for each wire.

(2) I have simple examples from EWB with subcircuit blocks connected together. When I create subcircuits with Multisim, I don't see how to define the external connections, so that you can place wires from one to another (or to other components). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,751 Views)

Hi Howard,

1. Options>>Sheet Properties, check "Show All". The default is "use net specific settings" this means if you want to display specific nets, you have double-click the wire and select "show"

1. There are several ways to create a sub-circuit. I prefer to built the circuit first, then use the mouse to draw a rectangle around the circuitry I want inside the circuit then select Place>>Replace by sub-circuit. You can also right-click after you selected the circuit you want inside the sub-circuit block; the "Replace by sub-circuit" should be available on the context menu.

Another method to create a sub-circuit is select Place>>New Sub-circuit, enter the sub-circuit name then place the rectangle on the workspace. To build the circuit inside the block, double-click then "Open subsheet".  The connector to communicate with the main page is under Place>>Connector>>Hierarchical connectors.

Some useful knowledge base you may want to look at:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3990/en/ 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9E372413EEAAD964862571EE007794A0

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,728 Views)