Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mechanical parts with mounting holes

I have a design that needs a battery holder that is mounted to the board but is wired to the switch in a DC jack and the DC jack is wired to a pin on the PCB. Since the battery holder has no 'pins', Multisim will not let me create a part for it. Consequently whever I forward annotate any changes to the circuit over to Ultiboard it deletes the battery holder and consequently the mounting holes for it. I've created a footprint with the mounting holes (non-plated) and a silkscreen outline so the relative spacing of the mounting holes is always preserved when placing it, otherwise I would just place holes in the PCB in the right places. 

Is there a way to create a part in Multisim that has no connections. Or at least create a footprint in Ultiboard that will not get deleted every time I forward annotate changes from Multisim? 

I'm using version 10.1 (its what my client uses). 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,310 Views)

Hi,

There's a trick on how to do that:

Make your footprint in Ultiboard and give it one pin (TH or SMD) it doesn't matter.

Next make your part in Multisim and give it one pin.

In the symbol editor, make that pin 'zero lenght' and 'internal pin', and make its name 'hidden'

Then both the symbol and the shape in ultiboard have 1 pin.

At the end of the symbol wizard, connect these pins (probably both called pin 1) and save it!

Next step is to ga back to your part in Ultiboard, and edit it.

There you delete the one pin.

When you will put the symbol in the schematic, and annotate it to Ultiboard, you won't get a message.

There will not be a problem...

Succes!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,274 Views)