Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

load old .msm files from 2001 into multisim blue

I have a set of files that were created in 2000/1 - I cant remember what version of multisim we were using.
I'd like to update them - and I have a copy of Multisim blue - but when I point it at the directory it does not register the files. Its as if they were not there.

I've attached an example

Any help would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,285 Views)

Hi Whistler,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've been looking into this and have not found an exact way to open a .msm file in Multisim Blue.

However I may have found a work around. You may be able to open a Netlist of the 2001 files and open those in Multisim Blue. I firstly wanted to check if you have the software to open the earlier files.

Hopefully we'll be able to come to a solution.

Best Regards,

Soloman

Application Engineer (CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,256 Views)

Thanks for the rapid response. Unfortunstely I no longer have the earlier version of MultiSim (student edition, around 2000)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,236 Views)

Hi Whistler,

So I've downloaded Multisim Blue myself and have tried to open both a .msm and .ms8 file, however both times the software has not allowed it. Can I get you to try the same thing to make sure its not just me. If you get the same issue, I'll escalate the problem. If you have already tried these steps, please let me know aswell.

1. Please run Multisim Blue and go to File >> Open

2. Locate the folder where your .msm file is located

3. Please change the file type it is looking for from All supported files to All files (*.*)

4. Select your .msm file and click open

If you receive any errors in trying to do this please let me know right away and I'll escalate the problem. 

Hopefully we can resolve this together.

Best Regards,

Soloman

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,224 Views)

Thats correct - if I choose *.* it does see the old files - but will not open them .

I get

Multisim Component Evaluator does not support files of this format.
Visit http://digital.ni.com/express.nsf/bycode/multisim to obtain a complete Multisim edition.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,200 Views)

Hi Whistler,

I've found out why we are both getting errors. Multisim Blue is not actually a National Instruments product, rather it is developed by Mouser Electronics. Saying that the underlying software is Multisim (or its powered by Multisim), however it seems that Mouser has limited the back compatibility with previous Multisim files.

I've just spoken to the UK Mouser Electronics branch and they have advised me to contact the US branch regarding if it is possible to use precvious versions. The link for the support page can be found here:

Mouser Electronics Support Page

I can't confirm if it is possible to do it, however Mouser Electronics would be best to guide you as they developed it.

The reason why the error message points you back to our Multisim website is simply because it is suggesting to download the National Instruments developed Multisim package as it will definitely be able to open previous versions.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best Regards,

Soloman

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,186 Views)

Thanks Soloman - I'll reply again when they contact me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,176 Views)