Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrectly calculating hfe/input impedance

Hello

Multisim calculates wrongly the input impedance of a common emitter stage - judging from the voltage drop on the base resistor network it appears it assumes a hfe of about 10, when the real value is over 500. I used the 2N2222A as a model, and the error is there on multiple transistors with hfes many multiples of 10.

Could you please let me know what I am witnessing here? 

Thanks

Akis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,990 Views)

please post your circuit

Thanks

Max
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,962 Views)

Hi All,

Please find attached the user's code.

Many thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,943 Views)

Sorry all, not sure what happened but the above code doesn't work.

please try the attached.

Thanks

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,929 Views)

The active region beta for this transistor is around 220.Your circuit is actively biased and a simple current measurements shows that beta=Ic/Ib~= 220. So I am not sure the reason for your assertion that beta is 10 because you need to actually measure it.

Generally I can say with a high degree of confidence that the models for the 2N2222s and their simulation within Multisim are quite accurate.  

Thanks,

Message Edited by MaxNI on 10-14-2009 09:54 AM
Max
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,925 Views)

Hi All,

I also ran this test and found that the HFE value was around the 220 mark. I wonder if you are looking at a different flavour of 2n2222A transistor? A quick look on google revealed the following components

Microsemi - HFE between 50 and 100

Philips Semi conductors - HFE 75

SemiLab - HFE between 100 and 300.

I think the thing to note is that these transistors can have a quite varying value for HFE. If you navigate to the component browser, find the 2N2222A component and click on the button marked "Detail report". You can see that the hFE value will vary between 35 and 300.

I hope this helps,

Many thanks, 

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,906 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the replies. The circuit I posted does not correctly show what I am seeing, I took my original circuit, did a small analysis to try to find out why Multisim thought that one side of the waveform would be severely clipped, and mistakenly I traced it to the simplified circuit I posted. I will go back to the original circuit and either post it fully or trace it better to find the problem area.

Thanks

Akis

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,885 Views)