Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom device with custom VI curve

hello,

I'm new to Multisim and I'm trying to do something that I haven't been able to find in none of tutorials nor this forum. is there a way to construct a custom device that has a custom VI curve? basically what I'm looking for is to have a two-terminal block with a particular V-I characteristic (I'm trying to simulate a two-terminal memory device with V-I curve that looks like a typical hysteresis curve). 

also, once I have a couple of those devices, can I save a file and later use that file (with multiple devices) as a module in another file? thanks a bunch.

r. 

hysteresis-curve.png 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,354 Views)

Hi Rob,

There is a Voltage Hysteresis Block component in the database and it's in the "Sources" group under the "Control Function Block" family.  You can use the hysteresis component along with a voltage control current source to build to a circuit that behaves like the hysteresis graph.  This is the basic circuit.

Hysterisis.JPG

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,338 Views)

Tien,

looks like this is exactly what I need. by the way, if I was to encapsulate this block (file) as a single device, with inputs and outputs (sort of like SubVI in LabVIEW). how can I do this? thanks.

r. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,334 Views)

Hi Rob,

You can set this circuit up as a hierarchical Circuit and put it into the schematic whenever you need it, but unfortunately, you won't be able to save the circuit to your database as a custom component.  The hysteresis component is base on XSPICE and the voltage control current source is a SPICE model, you can't build a custom component with two different models.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,313 Views)

Thien,

as always, thanks for responding. I got that module part.

I played with that hysteresis voltage block and the design that you showed me and I dont' think that this is what I'm looking for. this is what multisim component guide says about that module: "This component is a simple buffer stage that provides hysteresis of the output with respect to

the input." so, based on the description, this module provides output which is input timeshifted. do you have any ideas of what else I could try?

r. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,272 Views)