From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating custom component Multisim version 12

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

So I'm a student with a project that i have to simulate on multisim. This isnt part of the project but the project has over 100 components in it so i started to wonder whether i could make my own  components that have the circuits inside them. 

So ive try to make a custom component of my smallest circuit to test if it works and running into dramas.

The circuit is a 8 bit gray code to binary code converter.

So i had made the converter and put HB/SC connectors on the inputs and outputs.

Then saved it as a netlist cir. file

I had then opened it in notepad, added 

.SUBCKT G2B_8BIT G0 G1 G2 G3 G4 G5 G6 G7 B7 B6 B5 B4 B3 B2 B1 B0

to the top, so my component is G2B_8BIT and then those are the names of the 16 pins

then i added .ENDS to the end

I havent added any pin mapping because it is only a simulation dont need footprint

When i replace the circuit with the component i made, it doesnt work and there are no errors or warnings to see ive done something wrong.

Ive attached my files

There is the original circuit

The circuit i used to create the cir. file

my cir. file

and the new circuit with the component added

Your help would be much appreciated, I'm interested in knowing how this works

sorry ill do a reply and attach the new ciruit with the component add, as i can only attach three files

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,761 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,758 Views)

Also the moment i press run, all the wires disconnect from the pins

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,755 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cruizerdog

Hi Cruizerdog,

You can build a SPICE model from a circuit only when the components you used have SPICE syntax, digital parts from the Multisim database are not SPICE, it's based from XSPICE.  The model you tried to create won't work.

Tien P.

National Instruments
Message 4 of 6
(5,704 Views)
Hey Tien_P,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to looking into it a bit more and figure out how to make it. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,700 Views)
**bleep** sorry did this over a phone. Thought I chose your response as a solution but think I did it wrong
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,697 Views)