From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect 74LS47 to seven-segment display does not work?

From the datasheet, the forward voltage, v(f) has a maximum value of 2.00 V and the i(f) is 20 mA. The resistance is then exactly 100 ohms, just as you predicted!

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 48
(2,200 Views)

There's a little bit more to the calculation then what it appears you are doing.  Remember, you need to take VCC into account as well.  Say you are using 5V for VCC and your spec sheet shows a voltage drop of 2V across the LED.  Your current limiting resistors needs to drop 3V across it (VCC - v(f)).  If you want 20mA through the resistor and LED, using Ohm's law, the resistor will be 3V / 0.020A = 150 Ohms.  

Message 42 of 48
(2,196 Views)

I will definitely keep this precious info in mind. But for now, i have already built the actual circuit (using all the previous components, including IC 7448 and 7 x 100 ohms to the LED, etc). I have the final circuit on Veroboard right now infront of me and i don't know why but segment g in the LED refuses to light up. I've tested the LED separately and all the segments work fine, but when soldered into the circuit, everything works fine (the levels change as expected) except for segment g which simply refuses to light up. Maybe you could help to diagnose the error? How to know which connection to which IC might not be working without having to dismantle and rebuild the entire circuit? I would rather not have to redo all this hard work all over again. I've indeed grounded all the pins as discussed earlier. The levels move from 0 to 7, except for segment g in the LED which just doesn't light up.

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 48
(2,175 Views)

I figured it out! I tested the LED's pin 10 (which handles segment g) via the series resistor and it turns out that the soldering joint appears OK on the outside, but inside it's probably filled with air as the conduction is really poor. So i reworked that connection betweent the resistor and the Veroboard again and voila!

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 48
(2,163 Views)

when i use seven segment display it t does nowork why?

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 48
(1,876 Views)

Should be a common anode display

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 48
(1,866 Views)

when i used anode display it show different results

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 48
(1,861 Views)

Slow your clock down and watch the sequence of the indicators. If you are counting up from 0 to 9, take note of the abcd values as displayed vs. what they are supposed to be.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 48
(1,855 Views)