From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cd4541Simulation

Hello. Can ANYBODY tell me where can I find the spice and/or model or HOW can I simulate a CD4541 Programmable timer???
I searched everwhere and can not find one at all. I only found an .ibs but could not convert it.
It's really very important for me if anyone can help.
Thank you all in advanced!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,741 Views)

microcej ,

While I don't have a CD4541 timer, this is one of those devices that will take a large amount of effort to create a SPICE model.  You may be able to create an circuit level approximation based on one of the available datasheets.   As a better alternative I would suggest you isolate which divide-by-n you need and create the appropriate timer with one of the following methods.

1.  Use a clock voltage source [found under Sources -> Signal Voltage Sources] and the Virtual FREQ_DIVIDER component [found in the Master DB under Mixed -> Mixed_Virtual] (basically this is a Divide by N Counter).

2. Use the clock voltage source and use the 74LS161 components to create a divide by N counter... One reference is: http://www.techlib.com/files/161divdr.pdf

Regards,

Patrick Noonan
Business Development Manager
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Email: patrick.noonan@ni.com
Tel. (207) 892-9130
Fax. (207) 892-9508 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,710 Views)

Thank you Patrick Noonan for the reply.

You are right, it works fine. The other question is that I found an MC14541BD.IBS from ON Semiconductor. Is there a way to convert it so Multisim 10 can use it??

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,700 Views)

microcej ,

Multisim does not natively support the *.IBS standard.   This *.IBS file that you have simulates the fall/rise time parameters, impedance and loading parameters of each pin only.  It is useful for simulating timing parameters or to predict whether loading effects might influence the timing of the device, however this type of model usually does not simulate the functional/logical behavior of the part.

For many of our digital parts, in lieu of IBIS, we use a XSPICE / code model call "d_chip" in conjunction with our pin driver models to model the various logic chips with various logic standards (ex TTL or CMOS, etc...).   If you look at the model details of many of our digital parts this d_chip model is the core part of the model and it can model digital logic and timing functionality.   It would be conceivable to use the .IBIS data to add timing/transition information for Multsim code models using d_chip, however the logical/functional behavior would still need to be manually created from the datasheet (as this data is not embedded in the .IBIS information).

For simple parts this is relatively straight forward, however for more sophisticated parts this is non-trivial.   However If you are interested in understanding how this works, I'd be happy to start another thread to give additional details on using d_chip.

Regards,

Patrick Noonan
Business Development Manager
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Email: patrick.noonan@ni.com
Tel. (207) 892-9130
Fax. (207) 892-9508 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,663 Views)

Hello,

I am trying to simulate the CD4541 circuit on ltspice.

Is there a spice model avaible now ? I actually use sborka model which dosn't work.

The link you provided in your answer is no longer accessible.

Can you help me please ?

Here is my schematic

Regards

drsisco_0-1691341187069.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(783 Views)