From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can a custom component have multiple selectable symbols like they do footprints?

Solved!
Go to solution

When I make an MCU component I make the symbol reflect the operation of the mcu for a particular project. For example I may use the same PIC processor for several projects but have a different symbol to reflect the processors use within a project. I end up doing this by creating a separate component with a slightly different name. Ideally I would like to have a PIC 16Fxxxxx component that has multiple symbols. The symbol names can then be project dependant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but no simpler"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,566 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucither

Hi Lucither,

My name is Mitchell Goon, from National Instruments Technical Support.

With regards to your query, you will not be able to use the same MCU (with its respective configurations) in the manner you have described in your post, not without creating a separate copy of the MCU with different symbols/names. At the moment the method you have described would be a good way to approach your query.

I hope that this is the information you were looking for. If this is not the case, please do not hesitate to contact us and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Mitchell Goon

National Instruments

Applications Engineering

www.ni.com/support

Message 2 of 3
(4,425 Views)

Thanks for the response. I thought this was the case but was hoping. Personally I think it would be a nice feature to allow selectable symbols for a device. This way the symbol name can purely describe the usage of the device within a project. When using the same uC for many projects you tend to overload the folder with the same device but with many names.

Rgs,

Matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but no simpler"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,411 Views)