Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

breadboard

Hi all!

I have a quick question: How does one use "breadboard" option in Multisim. Is there a way to design a circuit and have Multisim generate a breadboard picture of the circuit?
If not, how else can I make use of the virtual breadboard?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(26,945 Views)
The virtual breadboard is part of the Multisim Educational and Student Version and is available in two designs:
  • Regular breadboard
  • 3D NI ELVIS breadboard
Instructions on how to use virtual breadboarding
  • Build your circuit using a regular or NI ELVIS schematic
  • Open breadboard view (Tools > Show Breadboard)
  • Select components form the tablet for placing
  • draw wires to complete breadboard circuit

You will see a visual feedback (colored in green) in your schematic for components that have been placed on the breadboard and for completed nets.
Use screen capture tool (Tools > Capture Screen Area) or print for documentation.

Regards
Ingo Foldvari
Area Sales Manager - US West Academic
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(26,939 Views)
When I construct the circuit using Multisim, the components do not show up in the parts bin in the breadboard window.  Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(26,467 Views)

Which version of the software are you running? Go to Help >> About Multisim, if you see build version 10.0.144 or 10.0.175 then check the following link, this patch fixes a breadboard issue:

NI_CDS_10_0_0_1_Patch

There is a more recent update named 10.0.1 however is a 270 MB download since it is a full installer, if you are interested then reply back asking for it with a detail description of which software you are running (Education, Student, etc.) so I can point you to the right place...

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(26,460 Views)
I am also having immense problems with breadboarding. My teacher gave me an assignment, just as a starter. I designed the circuit and did the DRC just as he said, but got many errrors and he said I would have none. This isn't the most pressing problem. The worst problem is trying to figure out how to install a VCC power supply and how to install the function generator and the non obvious components like that. I am still having getting DRC to pass like crazy. Is there a breadboarding tutorial as to how to get the pieces on there.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(25,409 Views)

I can't comment on the DRC errors, but I do not believe you can have the VCC transfer to the breadboard as it is a virtual component. Try using a battery instead of the same voltage. None of the instruments to my knowledge will be visable in the breadboard either.

These are my observations and I could be wrong because I only had very little time with this in evaluation mode. I have the Power Pro and for some insane reason these things have still not been include with it. I have always said Power Pro should have everything in that all the other version have and this still hasn't been implemented.

I agree with another point you make. There should be 2 options with the breadboard. One option that allows you to manually wire up the circuit and another option that presents the circuit on the breadboard as pre-wired. This feature could be controlled by the instructor as to wheither or not he want you to wire the circuit as an assignment. In my case I would have no reason to manually wire a breadboard within the simulator as I have already designed the circuit and confirmed its operation and just need a visual reference for wiring my real breadboard. I know this is an extemely long feature request, but I wanted to be clear on what I was wanting.

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(25,406 Views)

I'm necro posting on this old thread to rehash the point - top notch versions should come with EVERYTHING, including breadboard sim. I shouldn't have to downgrade to Student to use a breadboard plugin. Heck, I tried installing the student version along-side Power Pro, and could not do so. NI have effectively locked us out of a part of the software as such.

What's the reasoning behind this? It can't be some corporate cash cow reason like "to sell you both versions of the software separately" because I can't even install Student alongside Power Pro.

Can you provide breadboard sim as a downloadable plugin, at least?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(15,548 Views)

Hi... I have a school project to display my birthdate.  I use the NI Mutlisim and followed my schematic exactly and after testing with a logic probe, I found out it wasn't correct. Even after re-wiring many times I am not sure what is wrong.  My project is due soon and it counts as a major grade. Can you help me please?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(14,214 Views)

@4royaladventure wrote:

Hi... I have a school project to display my birthdate.  I use the NI Mutlisim and followed my schematic exactly and after testing with a logic probe, I found out it wasn't correct. Even after re-wiring many times I am not sure what is wrong.  My project is due soon and it counts as a major grade. Can you help me please?

From the sparse information you gave us so far, we also cannot determine what's wrong of course.

(no information about the crcuit, no information about the display component, no information about anything!)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(14,209 Views)

To: Ingo Foldvari

I do not think you answered the question.   It sounds like you are saying to build the circuit in a breadboard view (your bullet step 3).    The question is how to build the circuit in the schematic view and then convert it to an equivalent breadboard, with wires and components already in place that match the circuit that was built as a schematic.

If the conversion is a product feature, then great, please indicate the steps.   

If it is not a product feature then too bad, it would be nice to have. 

Students can be shown how to build a circuit in the schematic view.   Then we want them to build the circuit in actual components.  The breadboard view of the circuit they already built would help them place the actual components and wires on the breadboard.   I am not experienced with Multisim, so any guidance you could provide would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,054 Views)