Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This circuit has no power sources: unable to determine the simulation timestep automatically.

Thanks, it works now. Thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 43
(4,793 Views)
Devon,

As a matter of fact, currently an application engineer is studying a circuit of mine that exhibits this same problem.  It's odd in that I can get this error to go away by varying how I add or change components.   A perfectly working circuit can suddenly not have any voltage sources simply because I did something with an op amp or I added a resistor or changed a value somewhere.  It's really bizarre.

The exact problem the guy is working on is the voltmeter stopped working, but there's a relationship to your problem in that I 've also seen your particular error show up with this circuit.

What I do is I keep saving the same circuit at varying stages of completion.  This way, when MultiSim burps, I can go back to the last working version of the circuit and try again, using a different algorithm so to speak.

How would the program corrupt itself?  Still that repairing idea may be worth a try for me also.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 43
(4,774 Views)

I don't know if it can corrupt itself  but anything is possible. Programs crash for no reason sometimes.This was a last ditch effort in my case when I accidently erased some files that Multisim had to have in order to work. The only thing I do know is that most of the time if you encounter something that occurs that you cannot fix within the simulator itself (like this person's problem with his voltage sources) then repairing your installation is worth a shot. It does not delete any circuit or project files that you have saved so you really have nothing . as far as I can see. to lose by doing this.

Have a Nice Day

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 43
(4,772 Views)

I have to add that there may be other methods to correct problems such as these. Nestor had one where you just delete the configuation files and let Multisim re-write them when it starts up again. This option may work also. You would have to scan the forum to find his procedure. If I find it I will re-post it for you  As long as it corrects the problem for you is all that matters.

Have a Nice Day

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 43
(4,767 Views)

O.K. I found Nestor's procedure. Here it is:

You can also try deleting all the files inside the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Application Data\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite\10.0\config

Empty that folder, and then restart Multisim, it will recreate the configuration files. It might be possible that the Application Data folder is hidden, so you have to make it visible in Windows.

Nestor

EWB Group
National Instruments

So now you have two option to try. I hope one of them works for you.

Have a Nice Day

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 43
(4,759 Views)
It appears the application engineer studying my circuit is having troubles with it.  In other words, my install isn't bad unless his is too.

In my opinion, there is a bug and my circuit stumbled across it.  I suspect it has something to do with the LF347 and the voltmeter, but it may just be the voltmeter, as this problem came in through the LF347 which was later replaced with the LM324 and the voltmeter's use still caused problems.  However, the engineer claimed to have achieved simulation but then he also changed my circuit -- the circuit I received (which froze and had to be stopped) wasn't the same circuit I sent.

My circuit uses hierarchical blocks and is rather large.  Plus, I don't like the idea of broadcasting it to the world.  Otherwise, I'd upload it.

To me it makes no sense to repair my install when the engineer couldn't run the circuit either, not until it was changed that is.   It's just simple troubleshooting 101.   I substituted the host computer and the software, via the engineer, and the circuit still failed simulate.  Therefore, it's not the computer nor the circuit; rather, it's the software.

I wrote back to the engineer.  I told the engineer that I appreciated his help; however, if he couldn't solve it, then it'd be no problem if he passes it to another.  I just need to know what I did wrong so that I don't do it again.  There's apparently some combination in my circuit that causes MultiSim to burp upon use of the voltmeter.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 43
(4,723 Views)
If you would like to send it to me to look at you can send it to lacy@cwv.net and I will see what I can come up with

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 43
(4,721 Views)

I just hooked up an LF347 for testing and it seemed to work O.K. This is just a very simple circuit that I will post for you to try and see if it still gives problems. This is a 4-stage gain amplifer with each amp set for a gain of 10 so the final output at 1mv input will be close to 10V.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 43
(4,705 Views)
I'm responding to both of your posts in one.

I would send you the design and appreciate the offer, but 1) I don't know who you are, and 2) my company doesn't appreciate its designs being passed to the world -- it's a design for my company.  True. it's a simple enough design, nothing all that unique, but I'll at least have to get any such transfer approved.  Passing it to the software manufacturer to resolve a bug is one thing but to a stranger on the Internet, no.

The  LF347 seems to work, as I isolated it from the circuit and tested it, first thing.

The best I can tell is this is like a combination lock.  Using a particular combination of components will cause the voltmeter's usage to cause an error and the circuit stops simulating.  It may also have something to do with initial conditions, for the error was something like,
'simulation parameter "reset-options" couldn't be set until a circuit is loaded.'
I have no ideas other than these, but I need to get this solved.   It's frustrating and I have so little time.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 43
(4,694 Views)

Well I can understand your point about your company not wanting to release their design. Just so you know I am an Electronics Technician with over 20 years experience at diagnosing and troubleshooting circuits. I also have pretty good track record of diagnosing simulation errors in Multisim.. Your only option at this point would be to send it to NI's Teamover e-mail  and let them try to decipher what is going on.

Sorry I couln't help you any further, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Have a Nice Day

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 43
(4,685 Views)