Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermal source connected with DC supply

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm currently attempting to simulate a circuit with various op amps connected together. The input voltage I'm using for the beginning amplifier is a low voltage DC supply. My problem occurs when I wish to induce noise into this input voltage. I have attempted to use the THERMAL_NOISE source connected with the DC supply, similar to having two different supplies in parallel. However, when I try to run the simulation I recieve a convergence error. The circuit runs completely fine with just the DC source or just the thermal noise source. When they're connected together something goes wrong. Has anyone ever had a similar situation or know of a good work around? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,600 Views)

Hi Tenor,

Please post your Multisim file, I will see if I can fix it.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,572 Views)

I attatched the file below. Tried searching some more with no positive results.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,570 Views)

Hi Tenor,

Thank you for your post. Here are some links might be helpful to Thermal Noise Analysis in Multisim.

Noise Analysis using Analog Devices Operational Amplifiers

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14516/en/

Configuring a Noise Analysis in Multisim

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12789/en/

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,562 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I'm not actually looking to do a noise analysis on the circuit components themselves. I'm wanting to view running results of the circuit with noise injected into the system. It's possible I've missunderstood the noise analysis simulation, but I'm fairly certain that won't give me the results that I'm seeking. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,559 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tenor07

When you have two sources n parallel, it can cause convergence error is a SPICE.  To fix the problem add a tiny resistor to between the sources.

I don't think the noise source will make a difference in this case, most SPICE models doesn't model noise.

Tien P.

National Instruments
Message 6 of 6
(5,548 Views)