Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text only selectable after "In-Place" part edit

While positioning the Refdes silkscreen text around my board, I've noticed that some of the text is not selectable unless you use "In-Place" part edit first.  After moving the text within the "in-place" part edit mode once, the text is selectable without it from then on.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,036 Views)

Hi there,

I have not see this issue before, but perhaps your filters were not set to allow selecting attributes prior to using In-Place edit?

If you post a file that contains the issue, I can look into it for you.

Natasha Baker
R&D Engineer
National Instruments

Join the NI Circuit Design Community
Follow Multisim on Twitter!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,988 Views)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the problem either.  Perhaps I did have the filter off and didn't realize it either.

I will update this thread if I come across the issue again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,986 Views)

I have a project now that reproduces this problem.

I'm afraid I can't attach the file here since there is some proprietary information.  Can I create a support request?  We do have a maintenance agreement with NI for this software.  Can you remind me how to create the request?  I click support, and then "service request manager."  However, I see a screen that says "Please complete the form below to continue or log into your existing profile on the right."  I add a phone number, click continue and I'm direct back to the same page.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,943 Views)

The workaround is actually NOT clicking in-place part edit, but rather showing the copper top layer.  Some of the REFDES silkscreen text is not selectable until I fill the "1 Copper Top" check box in my layers bar.

To reproduce the problem in my design I,

1) Hide all layers but "Silkscreen Top" and "Soldermask Top"

2) Clear all filters but "Enable Selecting Attributes"

Now I click the text "R23" and no selection box appears.

3) Show the "1 Copper Top" layer.

Now I can click the text "R23" and a selection box appears.

4) Partially show the "1 Copper Top" layer (greyed check mark box)

Now I can no longer click the text "R23"

As a test, I have place some parts on the bottom side of my board now.  The same behavior is exhibited, only now in order to select the REFDES text I must now toggle the "6 Copper Bottom" layer to full on.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,937 Views)

Hi,

I'm not sure if you got support, but I want to make sure we find the cause of this issue. I tried your latest reproduce steps, and unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem.

If possible, could you remove all components from your board except R23, and see if it still reproduces with that board? If it does reproduce, would you be able to post that file.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,879 Views)

Here you are.

Thanks for looking at this for me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,876 Views)

Thanks for posting the file. I can now see the problem, and I've entered a bug (D117067) so that it may be addressed in a future release.

I do have an additional unrelated question. In the file you posted, I noticed the layer "KeepOutLayer" but this layer will not actually keep out anything (at least automatically). So, I'm wondering how you created the layer (software and import file format) so we can take a look to see if we can do a better job importing this information.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,853 Views)

I'm very happy you were able to replicate this.  I was worried that it had something to do with the way I was copying components to my corporate database.

I see "Keep Out" and "Keep-in/keep-out" layers in my design.  They were automatically created when I transferred my design from Multisim to Ultiboard.  Inspecting my full design I don't actually see any shapes or lines on that layer.  I do see two boxes on the "Courtyard Layer" around quad opamp TSSOP-14 packages.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,848 Views)