From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subcircuit pins do not align with grid and will not connect

Solved!
Go to solution

I have two identical subcircuit symbols.  One is just fine, but the other has pins that do not align with the MS grid, and one that will not even connect.  MS12.0.0.

This one is fine:

SC-OK.PNG

This one pins are off grid.  The circled one will not connect.

SC-off grid.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,572 Views)

If I delete the bad symbol and copy and paste the good one in again the pins all line up fine.  But then all my subcircuits refdes are scrambled.  At the rate MS can change redes values I will need about 4 hours just to get it back the way it was.

I have seen this problem in many versions of MS, but usually it doesn't get so bad the pins won't connect to wires.

This happens after adding a pin to the subcircuit.  I can't see any way to fix it editing the symbol.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,571 Views)

Hi,

This is an issue I have seen on some occasions. One thing you can try is to rotate the symbol in the symbol editor. I have seen some instances where that has actually aligned all the pins. Otherwise, the best option would be just to re-draw the symbol.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,553 Views)

I don't see any way to rotate the symbol.  If I select all and rotate it always complains something is moving outside the boundary box and won't do it, even if I resize the box to be large and square.

I also don't see how to re-draw the symbol.  It's created automaticaly when I design my subcircuit.

Can you be more specific?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,549 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbur

Hi,

I have been experimenting a bit with this. One thing you can try is open the Symbol Editor, select the pin which is not connecting and then from the spreadsheet view, change the Shape to Zero-length Pin. Then try to see if you can connect the pin in the design. It will not appear as a line but you should still be able to connect to it.

If this does not work, you can open a service request and we can try to see how to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,539 Views)

That got the pin that was way off to where the others are.  Even though they are still not quite on grid it is able to hook up.

All that is needed is to change the pin type to anything else and then change it back.

Thanks,

David B

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,536 Views)