Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relay and voltage divider circuit fail

Hello!

I am very new at electric circuits, just started to learn how to do the basic things. 

I have a problem with the relays. I made a simple voltage divider, and tried to connect it to a 12V relay.. According to the photo, the voltage divider output is 10V, it should activate the relay. But its not, I tried to change the output value with the variable resistance but nothing happened. I also tried it with a 5V relay, but still wrong. Any ideas? I hope its just me doing something wrong 🙂

And somebody please explain the connections (pins) of the relay? Which pin goes where?

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,335 Views)

I do not know the specifications of your relay but most relays require far more current than could be supplied through the 1000 ohm resistor. Also applying 5 volts to the LED without current limiting will destroy a real device.  Simulators tend to not make as much smoke and nasty odors!

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,325 Views)

Kedves Zsolt!

If you click on the "View Model" button, you can actually look at the SPICE code of the particular component that you used.

There, cou can see the switching currents for this particular relay model

.SUBCKT relay_EDR201A12%p 1 2 3 4
* EWB Version 6 - Relay Model  1 set of NO contacts
* Lc= 0.027 RL= 1000 Ion= 0.009 Ioff= 0.001

You will need at least 9 mA of current to pull the relay, you will not that get from 12V on a 1k + (5k X 1k) divider. (you will get about 6mA)

Best Regards,
T Simon
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,249 Views)