From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding simulation of ECG signal in Multisim software

I am not able to simulate the ECG signal in Multisim and I am working with Multisim version 11.0.1 and I downloaded the package and when I opened it it says error "Cannot find the LabVIEW instrument "LVInstrIF820/ECG_Electrode". The following instrument(s) will not work properly:XLV1".Even though I have saved the LLB file in Ivinstruments it displays this message.Please help me out with this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(18,249 Views)

Hello,

Just to confirm, are you tryin to run the example files from the tutorial:

Biomedical Application: Multisim Simulation with an ECG Amplifier

What's your operating system?

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(18,241 Views)

yes and my operating system is windows 7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(18,234 Views)

Since this instrument was created with LabVIEW 8.2.1, you need to install the Run-time Engine the for this version. Click here to download it.

After downloading and installing the LabVIEW Run-time Engine open Multisim and see if you can select and place the ECG Signals instrument.

Let me know how this works.

Fernando D.
National Instruments

Message 4 of 22
(18,225 Views)

Thank you very much it is working fine .I have got one more question that the instrument XLV1 is producing the waveform or we need the circuit also to get that waveform?

Since we have developed a circuit for extraction of ECG signal and we need to input the ecg signal in order to simulate it and check whether the circuit work or not....so whether I need only just the instrument or total circuit?

and even when I simulate the current one the simulation is very slow....can you explain a little bit about the circuit and its functioning and if I need a 3 leads circuit where do I connect the pins in that instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(18,206 Views)

Hello,

The ECG Signals instrument simulates a raw ECG signal and you can select different points of measurement (for instance: Righ leg, Right arm, etc). The controls available in the instrument allow you to change the behavior of the signal, add noise, etc.

In the example we are testing the amplifier circuit with the ECG Signals instrument, which is the input to the circuit. If you designed your own circuit you can simply place the instrument and connect the corresponding inputs.

In order to improve the simulation speed go to Simulate>>Interactive simulation settings. Check the Maximum time step (TMAX) box and enter 0.0005, click OK and run the simulation. The simulation will run faster, however you will lose precison.  

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(18,179 Views)

Yes I got it.What we have implemented is the following attached file but we have also used simple amplifiers but we couldn't get the output.Can you please review the circuit and tell me what was our mistake.I even attached the circuit diagram of our implementation (It is downloaded from a website).

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(18,159 Views)

Hello,

Here are some recommendations:

• Build and test every stage of the circuit individually, just to make sure that it works as expected. At this point use an ideal signal source, for instance, the Function Generator. Once that stage has been tested, include the LabVIEW instrument that simulates the ECG.
  • The LM324 component contains 4 amplifiers in one chip; to simplify your circuit you can use just one chip where each amplifier will be: U1A, U1B, etc. In your circuit you are using 4 different chips (U1A, U3A, etc). Another benefit of using one chip is that all the amplifiers will be connected to +VCC and -VCC automatically (after connecting the first one).
  • You can use on-page connectors to create virtual connections, this helps eliminate wires.

I took a look of the website where you downloaded this design and it seems that initially the circuit was designed to work as a single wavelength pulse oximeter with the help of LEDs, therefore, I'm not sure if the circuit will work with the ECG instrument because of the nature of the signal. I recommend you to read in detail how the circuit works.

I tested the first two stages of the circuit, the virtual ground circuit and the pre-amp:

preamp.png

I also attached this circuit here.

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(18,146 Views)

actually it even works with ECG signal.In the same website he has posted videos in which the same circuit works for both and after acquiring the signal he does the denoising using some software.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(18,141 Views)

We are taking a ECG signal(MIT-BIH database) and we need to process the signal using an algorithm and it should be processed in a processor.Can you please give me the details of any algorithm to be used and in which processor is the best to use for processing the algorithm and that processor should be having less power consumption and more speed.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(18,023 Views)