Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with keepout area 10.1.1

Solved!
Go to solution

I have design that uses a two pin header to provide power to the board.  The board is a four layer board with ground and power on the inner planes.

I wanted the Vcc supply connection on the header to NOT connect to the inner power place directly through the header mounting hole, but to run a track on the top layer to the decoupling capacitor nearby which does have vias to the power planes.

I though that was not a problem - just put a keep out area under the header part for the Power net group.

That works, but I always get a DRC:

Netlist and DRC check [Frequency Divider 2]  <2010-03-15 15:45:44>
    Design Rule Error: The object "Pad: Type(THT) Name(2) Part(J7) Clearance(1.0000 mil) Net(VCC) Hole(39.3701 mil) " is within a keep-out area for net group : Power.
Netlist and DRC check completed;  1 error(s), 0 warning(s), 0 Filtered Error(s);  Time: 0:00.34

The only way I found was to put a trace down on the relevant layer all round the header, and then use Copper Delete/Copper Island which I knew from previous experience was likely to cause problems, and also leaves a spurious track in the layer.

I realise I could just filter the error, but if I do that, when I go to Export the Gerbers, Ultiboard still complains that there are outstanding errors.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,015 Views)

I put together a little example to show my understanding of the problem. I assume you are getting the DRC error because you are running VCC into the keep out area, and VCC is in the Power group. As you've described it, I think this should also give you a connectivity error because the header would not be connected to the power plane (Ultiboard doesn't allow connections through components), so all parts of VCC would not be connected together.

So, I think the correct solution is to create a new net, say VCCHEADER, that is the connection between the header and decoupling capacitor. VCCHEADER would not be in the Power group so it can enter the keep out area. I put an example of this in the file as "keepoutfixed." I think this also make logical sense because they are really separate nets in your design. This would also solve any connectivity errors.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,980 Views)

I cannot open the project which you attached, as it was for Ultiboard 11 which I don't have.

In a sense you are right, the PTH for the header pin is in net VCC, and it is complaining about that, even though I restricted the keepout to net group Power and to the plane which has VCC in it.

I don't think I can create a new net as the proposed new net (VCCHEADER) would connect to the +ve terminal of the capacitor, which is of course directly connected to VCC, and the two nets would become one.

Or are you about to hit me with a "slap head" (DOH!) moment?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,978 Views)

I "converted" the file to 10.1 so you can see it. If this doesn't explain the solution, could you post a simple example with the problem your having because then I don't think I understand the problem? (Maybe I need a slap head moment too)

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,975 Views)

Here are two projects as I couldn't work out how to copy a complete design within a project (how do you do that)

One shows the problem, and other shows how I used a trace on the power plane and delete island to resolve it.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author david_c_partridge

HI David,

It was me that needed the moment. Now that I understand the problem, I can say I don't have a better solution for you. I'll add a bug so that the export warning message does not appear for DRC errors that have been filtered, which would solve part of the problem.

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,938 Views)