cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P8253 - Programmable Interval Timer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello you all,

i am looking for a simulation model for the Programmable Interval Timer 8253 (or similar).

I have it in an data acquisition system with whom I am working.

The point is that I need only the functionality itself. I doesn't matter if it is the same integrated circuit.

The data acquisition board is using this component and I need to simulate its functionality.

Would anybody have something to help me?

I'd appreciate any support.

Thanks in advance.

Brunno

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,056 Views)

Brunno,

This part in itself is a very complex programmable part - so it will be difficult to build a fully functional/accurate native SPICE model.   How are you planning to interface to it within SPICE?   Here are a few suggestions...

1. The datasheet does give you a good functional diagram of the counter interfaces - could you model a portion of the interface or counter/timer functionality with a specific mode of operation?  http://www.intel.com/design/archives/periphrl/docs/23124406.htm 

Modeling the counter/timers for a single mode of operation should not be a huge issue, modeling the control logic/command structure would likely be the more challenging endevour.

2. If you are a LabVIEW user, an alternative suggestion is to create a LabVIEW VI that would be able to closely mimic the counter/timer waveform operations you expect to generate.   A nice user interface could be built in LabVIEW to emulate the various modes of operation - in this way you could use it within the Multisim simulation environment.

Details on creating LV VIs for this purpose are shown here:  http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5635

Regards,

Patrick Noonan
Business Development Manager
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Email: patrick.noonan@ni.com
Tel. (207) 892-9130
Fax. (207) 892-9508 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,001 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author brunno

Patrick,

based on the software I could see which mode operations were being used and the good new is that the software uses the same simple mode for all counters.

I ended up taking simple down counters to use with PLL and it seems to be working well.

Thank you for your help.

Brunno Ferraz 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,978 Views)