From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On what computer configuration is Ultiboard running at its best?

Hi,

I will soon upgrade to the latest Multisim Ultiboar Power pro version 10.1

And I wondered if I'd better upgrade my PC as well, it is 4 years old now, and the current Ultiboar version (10.0, full edition) blocks from time to time, even crashes a few times a day.

I allready switched off the realtime DRC check... I always happens when laying traces in 'follow' mode (CTRL-T) but never in Line mode (CTRL-SHIFT-L).

I could upgrade to a dual core PC, or add some memory in the current PC,

I just want to be sure that I can run with this PC for the next five years.

What configuartion, what operating system , should I use for the future?

Best regards

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,172 Views)

Hi Johan

The minimum system requirements for the Circuit Design Suite are stated in the release notes which you can find here:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374478d.pdf

These requirements are the minimum requirements necessary to get a good experience when using multisim/ultiboard. To get the most out of it, it is strongly advised to have a more powerfull pc.

Since your computer is about 4 years old, I suspect you will be somewhere in the range just above the minimum requirements. As computer hardware evolves this fast, it might be more interesting to get a complete new pc, rather then upgrading.

In general: The faster your system is, the better it will run, the better your experience with the program will be, but also the more expensive the system will become. As long as you stay above the minimum requirements however, you should be fine.

Considering the OS: At the moment, companies are not really tending to upgrade to Vista, so you should be fine with XP for now. It will probably depend on the succes of windows 7 what the future will bring on this behalf.

Best Regards

Michiel
Applications Engineer
NI Belgium
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,152 Views)

Thanks, 

The computer will be updated, but I wondered, how important is the video-card on this?

Is it necessary to use a dedicated graphics card such as a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700?

What would be the difference with a standard graphics card?

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,081 Views)
Make sure you machine has a dedicated video card.  Integrated graphic chips do poorly rendering in 3D in my opinion since they are very limited in how they handle the visual rendering.  Any nvidia or ati card 5 years older or better will do just fine.  Their openGL engine is pretty archaic and doesn't demand to much from the hardware, but integrated graphics cards really show the suckage.

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,047 Views)