From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multisim doesn't open Ultiboard

Hi

Anyone experienced that Multisim doesn't open Ultiboard then trying to transfer to Ultiboard? I can open the oputput file(.EWNET) manually in Ultiboard but then I can't forwarad annotate if I change anything in the design. I've tried to uninstall multisim 10.1 and install it again with no succcess. Is there any "linking" software that handles the communication between multisim and ultiboard that doesn't work?

//Johan Hansson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,236 Views)

I've also tried to rename folder

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite

to

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite_old

and then repaired the installation without any success.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,228 Views)

Hi Johan,

Multisim is supposed to launch Ultiboard automatically when you export or forward annotate to Ultiboard. I was unable to reproduce the behaviour that you are describing. Can you tell us what operating system you are running? Has this ever worked for you in the past? Did you try updating your Multisim? There is a 10.1.0.1 update for everyone and 10.1.1 update for those with SSP.

As an alternative, I can suggest the following work around:

1. In Multisim, open the design that you want to forward annotate to Ultiboard
  2. Click Transfer>>Export to PCB Layout
  3. Save the netlist
  4. From Ultiboard, open the design that you want to forward annotate to
  5. Click File>>Import UB Netlist
  6. Open the file that you sved in step 3
  7. Follow through with the forward annotation

Unfortunately, I can't help you any further, but someone from tech support may.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,222 Views)

Hi yyao

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 and it have worked before (with SP2). Multisim version 10.1.197

Using the work around worked fine but it would be nice if multisim open ultiboard.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,218 Views)
In the mean time, I do highly recommend that you install the 10.1.1 update (if you have active SSP) or the 10.1.0.1 update (available to everyone). There are significant improvements in the performance and functionality in both updates which may improve your experience. You can download and install it through NI Update Service.
----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,209 Views)

My computer also doesnt transfer to Ultiboard from Multisim.

running XP pro SP3 .

Multisim + Ultiboard 10.1.1.

(didn't transfer with 10.1 or 10.0.1 either (all on SP3))

I'm guessing SP3 messed it up, like M$ is SO skilled at doing.

I dream of the day when M$ uses a fraction of its bazillions to make a working product.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,201 Views)
Ok good to know that I'm not the onlyone with this problem Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,189 Views)

Hi guys,

We tried to reproduce this problem but couldn't get it to happen :(. We've tried different combinations of software configurations, but this problem just wouldn't come up. We will keep an eye out for this problem and will try to fix it if we can get this problem to come up. Just to check, you guys are doing the following right?

1. From you schematic in Multisim, click Transfer>>Transfer to Ultiboard 10
  2. Save your netlist as a ewnet file
  3. Ultiboard should launch by itself.

In the mean time, the best thing that we can suggest is to reinstall both Multisim and Ultiboard. If you have done that already and it doesn't work, there is a workaround posted above.

Keep us posted if anyone finds out anything else about this problem.

Thanks!

----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,068 Views)

Yes yyao, that's exactly what I do. And it begun after upgraded to WinXp SP 3 from SP 2.

Computer

Dell Latitude D620

Intel Duo core @1,66GHz

1G RAM

Software

NI Curcuit Design Suite v10.1

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,024 Views)

Hi Johan,

Thanks for that information. We did try to install SP3 after SP2. However, Multisim was able to launch Ultiboard fine for us. In fact, we have tried other combinations of installations if service packs and Circuit Design Suites and updates as well, but we weren't able to get the same behaviour. I suspect this may have to do with the combination of other software potentially installed on your (and others') machine.

We'll keep an eye out for this, and please keep us posted with any insights to this problem if possible.

Thanks!

----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,009 Views)