Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multisim database crashing program

Solved!
Go to solution

Every time  I open the database manager in Multisim 12.0 and click on the component tab the program crashes. If I click on the RLC components tab it seems to work fine. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a quick fix? Thanks   Kim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,378 Views)

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your post. Just a few questions before we can further diagnose the issue. Could you please tell us your operation system? Is it Win7 32-bit? Or, are you running your Multisim on a virtual machine? Have you installed any updated patches? When did this problem happen?

So far by the information given, it might be due to the path of a database(say, corporate database) cannot be found or the configuration file is crashed in your Multisim 12.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,355 Views)

HI Chen. I am using Windows 7. 64 bit. on stand alone system but networked.  My corporate database is stored on the server so that everyone can access it. I have not installed any updates or patches. I don't know when this started because most of the rest of the program seems to be working fine. I was trying to clean up some of the components that have been created with unusual names, duplicates with different names etc when I discovered that I can't access them. I can access them to place them in the circuit but not when I go to the database manager and try to remove or rename them.

thanks

Kim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,351 Views)

Hi Kim,

Please try these steps:

1. from the main menu select Options »Global Options »Paths, find out where you corporate database file is located and then navigate to that path using the Windows Explorer

2.  Close Multisim and Ultiboard down

3. Move your existing corporate file to a different location and then replace it with the attached clean corporate database

4. Start up Multisim

5. Tools»database»Merge

6. Merge your corporate database with the clean database by select Tools»Datbase»Merge. The steps are similar to what is described in this knowledge base

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0E79A33B64DBC6DB862579EB0050F6E8

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,345 Views)

Hi Kim,

It can be the corporate database problem. Do your colleagues in the same network also have this issue?

My concern is that it could be linked to the corporate database. That is the only shared database. I have attached a clean corporate database to this post. You can try to point your database towards this in Options >> Global Preferences. Apply the changes and close and re-open Multisim. Open Global Preferences again to check if the changes are applied. Try to access the Database Manager after this and see if it works. If it does, we know that something is wrong with the corporate database for sure. 

Please let me know what happens. 

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,341 Views)

Thanks Chen. That worked. Now what ? Can I merge my old one with your new one?

Kim

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,336 Views)

Hi Kim,

Yes, try to merge the old one into the new one. Just follow Tien's instructions described in the previous post.

Let's see what is gonna happen.

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,333 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kwood1158

Ok. It took a couple of tries but it worked. I must have tried to merge backwards or something because when I was done it only had an empty database with a file size of 1K. I did it again and it worked. I have all my files back in the correct places now and all my components work great. The merging process needs a littlle bit more explanation I think.

Thanks very much Chen and Tien for your help.

Kim

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,328 Views)