Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MultiSim startup Error Codes...

I'd just recently installed MultiSim 2001 Textbook Edition.  At first, when I tried to load the program with a user account, I'd get the follow error:

"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'C:\Multisim\Mscomp.prd'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
Error Code: 3051"

I found the solution for this on the NI support pages, and fixed the problem (and also the same problem for files Msfield.prd and Msmodel.prd).

But now I'm getting the following error:

"Couldn't lock file..
Error code: 3050"

...and the program kills itself.

Does anybody have any idea what this means, and what I can do to fix it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,402 Views)
It should be the same as the error you fixed. Try giving the 'Full Control' privilege to the whole Multisim installation folder and see if that helps.
Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,398 Views)
Excellent!

It worked like a charm...

Thanks, Nestor.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,391 Views)

Great to hear that.

Just for anyone's interest. The reason for these errors (and many more related) are because Windows XP created more security barriers to prevent User or Guest accounts to install or manipulate the Program Files directory. Multisim, as many other programs, reads and writes back and forth to its installation directory during run-time, if you are a User without Full Control privileges the system will block you from doing that, therefore Multisim will bring up that type of errors.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,381 Views)

Giving the folder full rights was the first thing I tried and it does not solve the "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'C:\Multisim\Mscomp.prd'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.
Error Code: 3051" error.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,135 Views)

Hi,

Check the mscomp.prd file in the shown path and see if the file is open for all users, sometime when you open the folder security it doesn't propagate the setting to the file in the folder.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,121 Views)

Hello.

We have in our school 25 licenses of Ultiboard 7 (about 7 years old).

Until now I had no problem installing it on new pcs (each 4 years, we replace pcs in the lab room).

But today, I have the same problem as stated in this forum.

I do this :

1. I install Ultiboard 7 as before without any problem.

2. I launch it.

3. The splash screen appears a few seconds and disappears.

4. A little dialog, with only an OK button, appears which says : Couldn't lock file.

There is no error code, only the message above !

5. I click the OK button.

6. The main window of Ultiboard appears.

7. After a few clicks on menus (immediately if I hit the Tools menu), the same little dialog reappears again and again when I click the OK button !

The only way to stop it is to kill Ultiboard 7 via Tasm Manager

And the problem does not disappears even after settting Full Control permissions for Users on the Ultiboard 7 folder with propagation to all subfolders and files.

Is there a solution to this ?

Thank you.

jmdess

Message Edited by jmdess on 03-29-2010 04:18 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,888 Views)