Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jet error with Multisim

Hello

I've just installed Multisim only to find out that it is not functioning. When I start multisim I get an error saying that MSComp_S.prd, CPComp_S.prj and UsrComp_S_.usr can't be opened. 'The error message end with The User Database cannot be read. Features using the User Database will not work.' I would guess that it's a problem with the Jet database engine. I've got Windows XP Home so I do not have permissions, so that can't be the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,128 Views)
I just tried updating to a newer version. During the update progress I get the following error: Error Code: 3049 Or Error: Failed to open the database . The file format/version does not match, and cannot be merged. If the database is from an earlier version, use Convert Database.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,124 Views)
Hi Decko,

What is the Multisim version that you're trying to install? Do you have different user accounts in your computer (administrator, guest, etc) ?

Fernando
NI, EWB Group

Message Edited by Fernando DZ on 10-09-2007 02:48 PM

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,107 Views)
It's the latest version (10.0.1 or something like that). And yes I have multiple accounts, but I only use the admin account.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,100 Views)

Hi, I just read this post and I would like to ask you a couple of questions, please be detailed on your answers so we can get a better idea on how to get to the root of the problem since this is a very uncommon error.

1. In your original post, what exact version of Multisim were you installing?... Was that 10.0? or were you installing a version 9 or previous?

2. Were you doing a clean installation or did you had a previous installation?

3. Did you change any of the default installation directories?

4. After you were done installing, did you manually moved/copy any of the user, corporate or master databases?

Then you have another post about upgrading to 10.0.1, which first of all, I believe that error is related, however:

5. Does the error shows up while installing 10.0.1? Or after is installed?

Please answer back those questions, however, to access the databases Multisim uses the DAO object which is installed in Windows, in some cases, not able to access the database is related to a permissions settings, which if you say you are Admin it might not be the reason, but still, check the installation directory:  C:/Program Files/National Instruments/Circuit Design Suite 10.0/  folder properties and make sure that you have Full Control permission on that folder.

Another reason is that the DAO object is not properly set in your system, we have an old KB 3ZQAMIDK that talks about how to properly register it, you might want to give it a try.

And last, please try to do a clean install of 10.0.1, you may need to uninstall previous installations, and delete the installation directory.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,079 Views)
1. In your original post, what exact version of Multisim were you installing?... Was that 10.0? or were you installing a version 9 or previous?

That was version 10.0

2. Were you doing a clean installation or did you had a previous installation?

It was a clean installation

3. Did you change any of the default installation directories?

Yup. I chose to install it on my D-drive instead of my C-drive, as this drive is out of space.

4. After you were done installing, did you manually moved/copy any of the user, corporate or master databases?

Nope.

5. Does the error shows up while installing 10.0.1? Or after is installed?

Both during installation, and then when I try to start the program.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,077 Views)

How comfortable are you in working with the Windows Registry? I might need you to go into the registry and check some keys.

However, now that you are saying that C drive is full... is it full full?... how much space do you have available?... your TEMP folder of Windows is likely only on your C drive and the installer uses it for many things... it is possible the installer is not able to write sufficient data to it. Another thing will be your Program Files directory and the Program Files/National Instruments directory... do you have Programs installed in the C drive?

Could you possibly also take a screen capture of the error message? That will help us identify exactly when the installer is not able to read the database.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,073 Views)
Im very comfortable with the registry. So ask whatever you like.

There's around 1 gig left on my c drive and I have installed programs on my c drive.

And finally, a screenshot of the error messages I get while updating.

http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=multisimerrorqg5.png

My account is an admin account. So I don't see why I shouldn't have access to the key, mentioned in the error message.

Message Edited by Decko on 10-11-2007 03:41 PM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,061 Views)

Lets try to fix the 1402 error first, which apparently could potentially be causing the database error.

Look at our KB 3WK8PNRM which talks about that 1402 error related to Windows Installer and how it affects NI products, you will also find the procedure to get rid of it, please follow it carefully.

Once you have tried that fix, and if it is working then try to reinstall, if you still get the database error installing drive D, try C for instance and see if that is causing the problem.

Otherwise, if you still have errors when installing, then I will ask you to create a log file of the installer, in that way we can review more information of what's happening during install, KB 39BDT32Q explains how to create a log file for a NI installer. Please follow it carefully and attach it to your reply in case you had to create one.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,048 Views)
After in/uninstalling the program a few times and changing the registry keys, it seems to be working. Thanks a lot :).
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,011 Views)