Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a tested solder jumper footprint?

Hi, I want to place several solder jumper footprints on a design. I am about to add a footprint that I have created but thought I may ask to see if anyone has already designed one and could offer advice? This is a simple thing to do but want to avoid any pitfalls. I am going to go for a two semi-circles design. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Rgs, Matt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but no simpler"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(10,404 Views)

How about placing zero ohm resistors where you want to place jumpers?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(10,397 Views)
Want it to be easier than that. Want it so can quickly either add solder or remove to disable/enable portions of the circuit. Solder jumpers are good for my purpose, I have in the past used a SMT resistor pads for this purpose but am going to make a better footprint specifically for a solder jumper. Seen many examples but just wondered if anyone had a known working footprint or any advice regarding them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(10,395 Views)

With 0 ohm resistor, you can place the part, if you want a jumper, if you want to remove the jumper you take out the part. You can do this with TH or SMT, what more do you need? With the pads you can even just use a piece of wire.

Message 4 of 10
(10,393 Views)
You can place a 0 ohm resistor or wire, of course you would then need a 0 ohm resistor or wire. I don't want to need this. A solder jumper is exactly what I do need for my purpose. Do you have any advice regarding a footprint for a solder jumper?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,391 Views)

Oh, you just want to bridge two pads with a solder blob. Yeah I have seen this done, but I do not know of any footprint in the library. You will probably have to make our own,

Message 6 of 10
(10,389 Views)
Yeah, thanks. I'm in the process of doing just that. Have seen many different suggestions regarding best shape, pad spacing etc.... Also regarding omitting the solder mask between the pins. It's simple enough but want to ensure I have the best solution as pressing the button on a batch of boards today with this and want to make them as easy as possible to bridge. Am going to go for the 2 semi circle approach. Was just asking the question in-case someone had some advice that could save me some pain! Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(10,382 Views)

The semi circle is what I have seen.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(10,379 Views)

I found this example for jumper pads like you want. The spacing is about 6 miles.

solderjumpers.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(10,373 Views)

I meant mils, not miles.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(10,372 Views)