Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Multisim

I have a lab with 23 desktop computers running Win7 Pro SP1 64 bit. Last year I installed all CAD software on the teacher computer, Autodesk Inventor, EdgeCam and Multisim. When I had it configured  I created an image of it.
I pushed that image to the other student computers. I then configured the teacher computer as the license server for Autodesk, EdgeCam and Multisim. I do not have to reinstall Autodesk or EdgeCam but have been told I have to reinstall Multisim. Can you suggest the best way to resolve this issue. If I reinstall Multisim on one of the student computers and create an image of it to push to the other student computers can I reinstall Multisim on the teacher computer and configure it as the license server?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,850 Views)

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your post. The following methods might be helpful to create an image containing NI Software without activating on each computer.

1. Method 1: Using a Network License Server

You can configure the PC image to check out licenses from a volume license server if your company has a Volume License Agreement with National Instruments. For more information on using a volume license server, see NI Volume License Program.  Use the KnowledgeBase article below to enable the use of a volume license server in NI License Manager on your image.

KB 4UAF8N5F : Setting up Volume License Server Access

After deploying the image, the client computers will check out licenses from the volume license server.

2. Method 2: Local Licensing

You can activate local licenses on the PC image so that the license files will remain activated upon deployment of the image.  This solution requires generation of a computer ID based on a disk volume serial number rather than a MAC Address.  You must request this computer ID from National Instruments. The ability to use this method is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  The following KnowledgeBase article outlines how to request a computer ID different from the default computer ID available in NI License Manager.  

KB 5GTELLQC: How can I change the hardware used for activation of NI Software?

For more information regarding hardware used for activation, see the Activation FAQ topic, On What Is My Computer ID Based?

You must ensure that the disk volume serial number set during the imaging process always remains the same otherwise licenses will no longer remain activated.

Details can be found here.

Also, we have NI Volume License Program which maximizes your software investment by reducing the total cost of ownership of National Instruments software and providing streamlined asset management to your organization.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Chen_T
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,818 Views)