Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incandescent Lamp Dimmer

For a proof-of-concept project, I need to simulate daylight for day and year cycles. For this purpose, incandescent lamps are OK. Specifically, ten 40W bulbs (~3.5 amps total). They will be off during 'night' and full brightness at 'noon on June 21' and somwhere in between during other 'daylight' hours. So what I think I need is a PC controlled dimmer and a program with two loops one for the day and one for the year.

I searched and found DMX-512 controlled dimmers used to control stage lighting made by Leviton and others. Seems like it would work. Also found some info about rs-232 to DMX-512 conversion and found some manufactured converters but they are pricey.

I have a Compact Fieldpoint system.

Any suggestions of a better way to make a software controlled dimmer? Or if not any guidance regarding the approach outlined above?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,224 Views)

Hello Kevin,

I'm not sure if you are using Multisim/Ultiboard but according to your question I think you should try posting your question on either the LabVIEW Board or the FieldPoint Family Board.

Perhaps if you have a PWM module in your FieldPoint system you could just vary the duty cycle (from LabVIEW) of the voltage ouput ; of course, you have to see what kind of signals you will be using, this is just a general idea.

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,190 Views)

you can build simple lamp dimmer using triac and potentiometer, replace potentiometer with Light dependent resistor

and joint LDR with LED in black tube, controll light brightness using ADC 8 bit, then you get 256 light brightness in simple meaning

data can be outputed from PC parallel port-software controlled, also multiplexing the bulb.

or using zerro crossing circuit, comparator and ADC for advanced dimer, the result is similiar advanced dimmer that found in te market

hope you try

Arief wicaksono -catsense-indonesia

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,064 Views)